From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dxf to xyz arrays positions

NI Motion assistant 

Version 2.6

Labview full development system 2012

I need to read a CAD file and export the XYZ coordinates.

Problem :

It's possible with Motion assistant to enter a dxf file and to export XML file.

After this I can to work with the xml file to export the array of xyz position.

The problem is, without Motion Assistant it's not possible to create the xml file.

how can i in block diagram of labview export XML file from DXF?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(6,138 Views)

Hi Avy, 

Please refer to this forum on how to import a DXF file into LabVIEW. http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Importing-and-displaying-DXF-files-into-Labview/td-p/44430

You should be able to parse the DXF file and output an xml file of the data points, or any other necessary information. 

-N

National Instruments
Staff Certification Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(6,091 Views)

i already find this forum but it's not a good answer for me.

i need to do the same thing that the motion assistant...  to import dxf and convert to xml but without motion assistant.

Or, can i launch motion assistant in block diagram of labview??

thank you

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(6,075 Views)

Hi avy,

Unfortunately there is no way to separate the DXF conversion functionality from Motion Assistant. If you can provide more details on what you are attempting to do with the DXF files in LabVIEW we may be able to suggest another solution.

Cheers,

Andy Church

Applications Engineer

National Instruments 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(6,021 Views)

hi

thank you for your answer

i only need to convert a dxf files to xyz coordinates in excel.

i use motors and for this motors i need arrays of coordinates xyz.

if you have any idea...

thank you very much

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(6,011 Views)

Hi avy,

There isn't really an easy way to do this with LabVIEW. You could likely convert the DXF file into an image in LabVIEW and manipulate it then, but you would need to code your own DXF parser in LabVIEW in order to extract the data. DXF files can be natively opened in Excel I believe, but they will simply be presented as delimited text and may need some careful study to translate.

Finally, there are a few DXF to Excel conversion tools available, though I have not used any of these so I cannot comment on their usefulness.

I hope this helps!

;Andy C.

Applications Engineer

National Instruments 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(5,964 Views)

Send me a pm, I have a cad program that can read dxf files and spit out the coordinates. Is this a one time thing or do you need to do it over and over?

Or you could look at something like this

http://www.ransen.com/pointor/DXF-to-XYZ.htm

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(5,957 Views)

@unclebump wrote:

Send me a pm, I have a cad program that can read dxf files and spit out the coordinates. Is this a one time thing or do you need to do it over and over?

Or you could look at something like this

http://www.ransen.com/pointor/DXF-to-XYZ.htm

Another post by unclebump that came up in a different search... This is getting strange.

unclebump, I have a need for the functionality to output labview x/y coordinates to a DXF. The current method is to print out the coordinates and have another engineer plot them in SolidWorks. I would like to streamline this by outputting the DXF in LabVIEW. Is there a way to do this?

Thanks,

Cheers

--------,       Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines                                           ,--------

'---   >The shortest distance between two nodes is a straight wire>   ---'

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(5,312 Views)

Hi, do you have any sample for this issue?

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(3,999 Views)

Hi James,

I do have pretty much the same need. I have an image and I must convert it in a DFX format. 

Were you able to find a solution?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(558 Views)