LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dual Network ports cRIO-9081

Hello,

I am using the cRIO-9081 in an industrial application where we connect a cellular modem into one network port and connect the other port to the client's process control network. 

A security concern has been raised if whether there is the possiblity we could bridge the two network ports and gain access to the clients process control network. 

Is there any literature describing the architecture of the dual network methodology in a cRIO-9081 that will put the clients security concerns to rest? From my understanding, one would have to "hack" into the operating system of the controller to be able to bridge the two ports. 

Cheers,

Conrad

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,578 Views)

I trust you have both adapters on separate subnets.  If so, I also trust the control network already is entirely local.  If not, there's already an entry point or intrusion. 

Assuming both are true, why would you need cRIO specific documetation?  You're asking a networking question, not a hardware based question.  You can't reach the local network directly.  You'd need to reach it through an accessible network, regardless of device type.  There's really only one thing connecting that cellular network to the local network: the software.  Do you believe you're vulnerable there?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,543 Views)
Yes separate subnets and the control network is entirely local. They think one could gain access to the second port via running specific commands as if it were a cisco switch. Or if one knew the ins and outs of the operating system they could access the ports via some low level commands.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,534 Views)