LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Driver Xilinx Artix7

Hello,

We have design a Xilinx Artix7 board connected to a PC with an ethernet port.

We would like now to change our design with PCIe to improve the data rate.

We would like to use Labview too.

How can i find the windows 10 driver to connect my PCIe board to labview?

Regards.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(4,102 Views)

Hi AP,

long way to get an answer: call NI tech support, then call Xilinx tech support, then call NI tech support again… 😄

(Note: there is some sarcasm in this answer…)

Short way to get an answer: Why do you think NI should have drivers for your hardware? They bundle their resources to support their own hardware!

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(4,100 Views)

Gerdw,

Thanks for your quick answer.

So, i want to buy Labview software...

I don't know how to do a PCIe Windows driver.

is it a long way?

Is there internal labview bundle to build this drivers?

Regards,

Alain.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(4,095 Views)

Hi AP,

did you already talk with NI?

I don't think it's reasonable to buy LabVIEW - atleast not before you had your conversation with NI tech support!

Nor do I.

I guess you will find relevant information at MSDN!

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(4,071 Views)

@GerdW wrote:

Hi AP,

did you already talk with NI?

I don't think it's reasonable to buy LabVIEW - atleast not before you had your conversation with NI tech support!

Nor do I.

I guess you will find relevant information at MSDN!

There used to be a  VISA (?) driver development wizard that would let you specify the hardware adresses of registers and let you test value read from them or poke at the register.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(4,069 Views)

Is this Artix7 FPGA on one of our products? If it is, could you just use an R-Series card instead of something that communicates over ethernet?

If the Artix7 FPGA isn't one of our products I'm not really sure if you can do it, but what do you think the advantage will be if you use LabVIEW? 

I would agree with GerdW's first statement but will say that you should probably start by calling NI Sales first. They're good about getting it to tech support if it's a question that they can't answer but I think it would be good to talk to someone about whether what you are trying to do makes sense before trying to figure out if it's possible. Basically, spend the extra half hour now to save a lot of headaches in the future.

Matt J | National Instruments | CLA
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(4,055 Views)

There might be some confusion about what the OP wants to do and what can be done.

So there is a board which uses a Xilinx FPGA chip to implement the PCIe interface I would assume. And the OP wants to interface this to LabVIEW.

Most likely this is not about interfacing the LabVIEW FPGA module to the FPGA chip on the board to allow LabVIEW to deploy compiled FPGA code. If this would be the intend of the OP we can stop here as that is simply impossible without lots and lots of inside knowledge about LabVIEW and Xilinx, that only some engineers inside NI do have.

More likely this is about writing a driver that can access the hardware resources on the board. For that you first need a kernel mode device driver which initializes the hardware, manages all the read and write access to the board, as well as more advanced features like shared memory and DMA transfer if required. And developing a kernel mode device driver for any OS isn't something any programmer can do, nor which would be done in a few days of programming.

You need to get the according DDK, a good C compiler toolchain and lots and lots of patience to get this even halfway working. To make it a professional grade device driver is even more complicated (much more debugging: "It works!" is only maybe 10% of the work to get it really finished! And you also need to sign it in order to be able to install it in modern OSes (Windows 8 or 10 or MacOSX), so you would need to get a certificate from one of the official Certificate Authorities.

The VISA driver wizard can ease this somewhat, as you do not need to develop a kernel device driver but rather operate in user space. You still need to know exactly what registers and memory addresses you need to access in what way but since you developed the board, that should be peanuts, right! However this approach does have certain drawbacks as all the board specific work is done in user space andthe VISA Register Access API doesn't support advanced features like DMA etc. If you only need to read and write some registers and memory addresses this might be not a problem but for performance high speed data transfer this would be a serious limitation.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
Message 7 of 7
(4,034 Views)