From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Draw Arc VI confusion

I am trying to use the Draw Arc VI to draw arcs (filled in) at different degree values, starting from zero, but can't get it to work like I expect it should at 1 or 2 degrees.  Rather than drawing a 1 or 2 degree sliver, the VI draws an entire semicircle.  It seems to work fine at any other degree value, including -1 and -2 degrees.  Attached is a simple VI to demonstrate what I am seeing.  Just enter a 1 or 2 in the numeric control and run it.  The VI was built in LV 8.2.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(4,011 Views)

"superclark" <x@no.email> wrote in message news:1161726008095-431912@exchange.ni.com...
I am trying to use the Draw Arc VI to draw arcs (filled in) at different degree values, starting from zero, but can't get it to work like I expect it should at 1 or 2 degrees.&nbsp; Rather than drawing a 1 or 2 degree sliver, the VI draws an entire semicircle.&nbsp; It seems to work fine at any other degree value, including -1 and -2 degrees.&nbsp; Attached is a simple VI to demonstrate what I am seeing.&nbsp; Just enter a 1 or&nbsp;2 in the numeric control and run it.&nbsp; The VI was built in LV 8.2.

Draw Arc Confusion.vi:
http://forums.ni.com/attachments/ni/170/211983/1/Draw Arc Confusion.vi

Hi,

This is a bug. Notice that it only happens if the size is less then a certain value, or slightly bigger and even!

A size 114, 112, 110, 108 shows the bug, a size of 109, 111 or 112 doesn't, nor do sizes bigger then 115. (This is in LV7.1, but I imagine not much has changed in LV8.2, 0 to 1 degree).

For 0 - 2 degree, the problem occurs at roughly half the size (only horizontal size seem to matter):

0 - 5 degree :sizes <12, even numbers from 12 up to 22
0 - 4 degree :sizes <14, even numbers from 14 up to 28
0 - 3 degree :sizes <20, even numbers from 20 up to 38
0 - 2 degree :sizes <28, even numbers from 28 up to 56
0 - 1 degree :sizes <58, even numbers from 58 up to 114

So it has to be some sort of rounding bug. 1 degree gets rounded to 0 in some cases (if scale is to small, with some even/uneven side effects), and 0 - 0 is then regarded as the default value, so a full circle is used.

As a simple workaround you could make the arc size larger (larger then 114). Or draw the arc flipped. No problem if you draw from 0 with arc size -1.

If this is not possible, you'll have to check (with a lookup table?) if the problem occurs, and if so, draw a line instead.

You could try to find a formula that has the some effect to tell if the problem occurs, but it won't be easy (probably with conversion from degrees to radians, or from angle to x possition). It might be easier to just always draw a line if drawing from 0 to 4 and size <29, or 0 to 3 <39 and so on.

It's not the only bug. A full circle is also drawn if start angle = 1 and arc size = -1, 2 and -2 (but not 1, -2 or 2, -1!). I tried to draw an arc from 1, size -1 instead of an arc from 0 to 1, but than won't fix the problem.

Regards,

Wiebe.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(4,002 Views)
Thanks for the reply.  At least now I know it wasn't entirely my fault.  I guess i'll just have to come up with a workaround.  Thanks again!
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(3,996 Views)
Might be easier to use a pie chart in excel.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(3,993 Views)

Here is a thread with some excel charts. Maybe you could make the rest of the pie sections white like the background.

http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?board.id=170&message.id=189844&view=by_date_ascending&page=2

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(3,989 Views)

This came up in my search for 'draw arc 1 degree' because I was having the same problem.  Did this ever get filed as a bug report?  It happens in 8.2 and 8.5 (don't have 8.5.1 installed to check.  I am just drawing an arc of 1 degree size with a start point of 0 and I get a full circle.  quite undesired

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(3,761 Views)

SuperClark,

I noticed while running your example vi, that if I increase the size of the picture and re run the vi, the problem vanishes.

Tobin

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(3,752 Views)
Yeah, it looks like a rounding issue
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(3,748 Views)

I want to draw a arc for some degree at a defined center point. For ex : If I choose Draw Circle then there is an option to define the center point called PIXEL CENTER, In this Control I can define Horizontal and Vertical Pixel Value. But in Draw Arc doesn't have this Option. How can I Define.??

Regards

Gokul

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(3,096 Views)

Hi gokul2013, 

I advise you to place this in a new thread because it will get more traffic.  In future posts you should always make a new thread and refer them on that thread to an older related thread.  This will make sure this forum is posted on the front pages of the forums.

Peter T
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(3,038 Views)