LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drag VI path from listbox to block diagram

Anyone know how to drag a VI path from a listbox on a VI panel to the block diagram on a VI and have it copy the VI at the path and place it on the block diagram.

For instance I can drag a VI from Windows Explorer to a block diagram and it drops it on there.  I want to create an executable with a listbox on it for our developers.  Then they can just drag them to the block diagram of their code and plop the VI in there.  My thought was that if I can copy the VI to the clipboard it will work.  I've got this to work with Text but not the VI.

Thanks,

jigg
CTA, CLA
testeract.com
~Will work for kudos and/or BBQ~
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,357 Views)

In the Listbox: Drag Starting? event, use the drag data to determine the path of the subVI you want.  Feed that path into the UI.PlaceObjectOnCursor Application method.  Wire a True constant to discard the Drag.

Tweak the Drag properties of the listbox to get the behavior you want.

Message 2 of 5
(2,343 Views)

Thanks for the response Darin.  Unfortunately I don't want to use VI scripting because I need to create an executable out of the code. 

Anyhow, your method works great other than that.  Thanks,

jigg
CTA, CLA
testeract.com
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,334 Views)

Why an executable?  By definition of your problem it seems you will be using the IDE.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,325 Views)

Because I think it's silly to run a VI as a tool.  Tools should be stand alone executables if possible.  Besides that if you run the tool from the IDE now you got a VI running while you are trying to develop.  Seems like a pain and who knows what application spaces are being shared or not shared.

Maybe I'm missing something but I prefer it be an exe.

Thanks again for the response,

jigg
CTA, CLA
testeract.com
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,318 Views)