From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does the IXXAT CAN interface have a "Wait-state" capability similar to NI-CAN?

Solved!
Go to solution

Greetings,

We have a IXXAT USB-CAN adapter, so I'm using their "driver" VIs, however...

I came across an NI-CAN Read SDO example that writes a SDO request then waits for "state" = 2 before reading a response.  I assume this waits for some CAN-bus state or status bit, and seems like a good idea, but I can't figure out what IXXAT VIs to use, to accomplish a similar wait(?)

Thanks/Cheers!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,178 Views)

Hi 550nm,

Where did you find these drivers? Were they on our IDNet page? Can you post a link to the driver package, or attach the VIs in question? Also, can you list the directory for the NI-CAN example you mentioned? I took a surf through the example finder but couldn't find the one you referenced.

Nick 

Applications Engineer

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,115 Views)

Hi Nick,

The NI-CAN example is found here.

The IXXAT "VCI" installer is here - it includes the USB/CAN adapter device-driver and LabVIEW examples.

Cheers!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,109 Views)

Hi Nick,

I _may_ have answered my own question...

On looking through the IXXAT "C-API" doc I found a function "canChannelWaitTxEvent".  In their LV wrapper DLL, there was a "lv_canChannelWaitTxEvent", though it was not represented in the IXXAT Channel VIs - so I made a VI for it.  It doesn't crash or hang LV and occasionally appears to wait for 300+ ms, though usually executes "instantly" (following SDO query message).

I'd still like to know exactly what the NI-CAN wait state (= 2) does!

Thanks/Cheers

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,093 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author 550nm

I was able to find this documentation on the function ncWaitForState on page 2-37 of the CAN manual. This is essentially a blocking function that waits for the desired state to be reached. A list of states and their numeric identifiers can be found in Appendix A (pp. A-1 - A-2). 

"NI-CAN Programmer Reference Manual"

http://www.ni.com/pdf/manuals/370289c.pdf

Nick

Message 5 of 7
(3,088 Views)

Hi Nick,

Thanks for the pdf!

The description of the '2' bit may indicate NI-CAN is waiting for the same TX event I described...

"

Indicates that all data provided using ncWrite has

been successfully transmitted onto network. Set when

last transmission is successful

"

Cheers.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,074 Views)

Glad to help!

Nick

0 Kudos