From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does everyone here have a 4000x1500 monitor?

<Warning - Rant starts here>

Come on, can't we shrink these BDs and FPs just a little bit? It seems like a common size of the block diagrams posted these days is about 3X my monitor width and 2-3X its height. And the front panels don't even come close to fitting. I don't know about anyone else, but I have trouble following things when I have to scroll all over the place to follow wires. Is the new standard monitor for programmers a 55-inch diagonal OLED?

I like to try to help folks, but this just makes it impossible.

<Rant ends here - Return to normal>

Cameron

To err is human, but to really foul it up requires a computer.
The optimist believes we are in the best of all possible worlds - the pessimist fears this is true.
Profanity is the one language all programmers know best.
An expert is someone who has made all the possible mistakes.

To learn something about LabVIEW at no extra cost, work the online LabVIEW tutorial(s):

LabVIEW Unit 1 - Getting Started</ a>
Learn to Use LabVIEW with MyDAQ</ a>
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(3,152 Views)

I feel your pain.  But I find most people just have huge windows open but using very little of the window.  Luckily, I have a nice little plug-in I made to shrink the windows down.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 2 of 11
(3,145 Views)

I think some people DO have that huge a monitor because some of the VIs I open are barely visible in the lower right corner...

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(3,139 Views)

Many users have dual monitors, of course.

I have a single one, but it is 2560x1440, which is sufficient for all I do. My diagrams are always small compared to the screen size and I am always annoyed with all the forum attachments that have the front panel and diagram maximised to the screen. 😞  When opening them, all I get is a whiteout condition with a little code in the upper left corner and the rest all empty white diagram or grey front panel, covering everything else I am working on (Yes, I do many things in parallel!). 😮

Anyway, this is a good time to revive my old proverb:

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
If your LabVIEW problem can be solved by getting a bigger monitor, the problem is elsewhere.

Message 4 of 11
(3,131 Views)

@altenbach wrote:

If your LabVIEW problem can be solved by getting a bigger monitor, the problem is elsewhere.

True.  However, I must say that having two 1920x1200 monitors is great for development.  Especially to find room for the Project window, the Help window, and a few pinned palettes, without obscuring where I'm coding.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(3,105 Views)

@GregSands wrote:
True.  However, I must say that having two 1920x1200 monitors is great for development.  Especially to find room for the Project window, the Help window, and a few pinned palettes, without obscuring where I'm coding.

Agreed. I recently tried to do some local instrument debugging of my software using a 1024x600 netbook... grrrrr. After a few minutes I connected an external monitor in order to be able to breathe. 😄

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(3,101 Views)

@altenbach wrote:

@GregSands wrote:

Agreed. I recently tried to do some local instrument debugging of my software using a 1024x600 netbook... grrrrr. After a few minutes I connected an external monitor in order to be able to breathe. 😄

I'm lucky enough to have a very good laptop with a large screen to work on.  But when I go to a test set with a 19" monitor, I feel so crowded.

I like when I'm docked at my desk where I have 2 1920x1200 monitors.  Even still, I tend to keep all of my code on my main monitor, leaving the help and other stuff on the second monitor.  Just helps to keep things out of the way.

GCentral
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(3,069 Views)

Hehe, nice that diagram size is such a concern for most developers.... that is why styleguides recommend a size of 1024x768...still 😉

I think that something with 1280x1024 is also ok, but it shouldnt exceed that in a normal VI....toplevel VI, maybe.

I often receive block diagrams which are six times the width of my laptop (1920x1080) and four times the height with the request for debugging. Sorry, this is not debuggable. NO WAY.

So, keeping diagrams small not only helps yourself in managing your code, but it also enables other developers to HELP you!

thanks,

Norbert

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
Message 8 of 11
(3,036 Views)

care to share that plugin? Smiley Surprised

Steven Howell
Controls and Instrumentation Engineer
Jacobs Technologies
NASA Johnson Space Center
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(3,005 Views)

@stormchaser373 wrote:

care to share that plugin? Smiley Surprised

Mine does so much more and I don't feel comfortable sharing it at the moment, mostly because I just used code from other people's RCF and QD plugins.  But in the mean time, you can just use jcarmody's Quick Drop Plugin: Move Block Diagram Contents to Origin.  I got him to shrink the window as well.

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(2,995 Views)