LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does anybody know how to connect a Dallas Semiconductor 1624 digital thermometer to LabView to read its output?

I need to read data from a Dallas Semiconductor 1624 digital temperature sensor into labview. I tried using the Daq Assistant by that is not working. One of the pins of the sensor will be sending the digital temperature readings. The temperature sensor will not send a reading until it is told to do so, it is not only an input it is also and output. The other pin is the clock (I would like Labview to generate the clock for the temperature sensor, but I am not sure how to do that either).
I would appreciate any help I could get on this.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,599 Views)
If you're looking for a quick and easy way to read a serial device, I think you'll want to look at the Instrument Assistant. This is a similar Express VI but reads data from the serial port instead from a data acquisition card. Since the 1624 is a serial device, the DAQ Assistant won't work.

As for the specifics on how to communicate with the device, I'm not sure the Instrument Assistant will work. They have an application note on their 2 wire communication. And they even have an example VI you can download from their FTP site to get you started.

BTW, I found all this info just doing a search on "DS1624 labview".

Good Luck

Ed

Ed Dickens - Certified LabVIEW Architect - DISTek Integration, Inc. - NI Certified Alliance Partner
Using the Abort button to stop your VI is like using a tree to stop your car. It works, but there may be consequences.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,588 Views)
charms,

my way would be:
Nearly no additional hardware: use the printer port to power and read one or many DS1624
A little more shematics: use the RS232 handshake lines (RTS/DTR/CTS) to read and power the DS1624 (at least one transistor, 2 or 3 diodes, one z diode or an 5V LDO and some resistors).
Search the LabVIEW site(s) for information about how to address and use the parallel printer port and search the web for shematics I knew I have seens some.
However you will have to program the 2 wire protocol (not that hard) if you can't find a vi
Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,584 Views)
update:

look here to find some schematics on how you can connect your Dallas device to your PC.

http://mytemp.sourceforge.net/

However, you still need to wire some VISA-RS232 stuff to do the handling. You can't use the assistants because you (ab)use the serial port for a not RS232 communication!
Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,549 Views)