From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does a C-DAQ module exist that would interface with RV-C standard?

Solved!
Go to solution

Does a C-DAQ module exist that would interface with RV-C (recreational vehicle CAN)  standard? RV-C appears to be some variant of J1939 according to Wikipedia.

I would like to use either  NI 9861 or NI 9862. I am new to CAN protocol and would value some assistance.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,011 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Heyou

I've never used RV-CAN but according to Wikipedia the rate is 250Kbaud so you'll want the high speed CAN device, the 9862, you can set the baud rate on init of the hardware.  After installing XNet, and cDAQ software you have a bus monitor in MAX, and several examples in the Example Finder for reading and writing raw frames.  After that you'll want to read up on the standard to understand how to format and parse the data.

Also if you have questions you might want to post on the Automotive subforum, they can probably answer more specific questions.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,995 Views)

Thanks,

I am loading the X-Net 3 part download drivers as we speak. I didn't want to order the wrong module if I could avoid it.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,980 Views)

As far as I can tell it is the right hardware, but the trick will be getting the software right, since it looks like it is its own beast with message identification in the payload, among other things.  Still if you don't want to take the advice from a random guy on the internet, feel free to call up NI or your local NI sales rep.  If it means a sale, they will help you out in making sure the right hardware is selected.

Message 4 of 5
(2,976 Views)

Technical Sales Consultant is looking fo a loaner. Thanks for the suggestion.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,943 Views)