From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does VISA send my computer's ip address to the instrument?

Hi all,

i use device agilent e3634a. when computer and instrument make contact with VISA, Does VISA send my computer's ip address to the instrument? or what data sent to the PC to the device? The device how to know my computer? 

i have another question: i read VISA manual and there is an example of obtaining a shared lock with a requested name: 

status = viLock(instr, VI_SHARED_LOCK, 15000, "MyLockName", accessKey);

What is MyLockName? is it my pc's ip address? in each VISA funstions (VISA read, VISA write VISA close,VISA open VISA lock...etc) does computer sent it's identity to the device?

Thank you

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,420 Views)

Hi omer,

VISA usually doesn't send any IP addresses in it's standard communication (like RS232, GPIB)!

But (as you know VISA is a wrapper for several communication ways): you can use VISA to communicate with a device over LAN connection. In this case the communication is IP based and so both ends (computer and device) know each others IP address…

MyLockName looks like a name you can choose on your own…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 2 of 2
(2,372 Views)