LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Anybody have labview drivers to program an MSP430 via SERIAL PORT?

Hi David,

I hope you still have the LabView code for controling the MSP430! Can you please share it with me too?

here is my email borko.eleta@gmail.com

Best,

Borko

0 Kudos
Message 51 of 60
(1,784 Views)

Hi David,

I hope you still have the LabView code for controling the MSP430! Can you please share it with me too?

here is my email borko.eleta@gmail.com

Best,

Borko

0 Kudos
Message 52 of 60
(1,787 Views)

While I generally have no problem with sharing code that I've developed for specific tasks and interfaces, when it comes to this forum thread about the MSP430 bootstrap, I'm reluctant to send what I have based on requests like yours, solely because (I think) there is a misunderstanding of what it does/does not do.  And I don't want to waste your time (nor mine!).

So, please tell me what kind of MSP430 you have (this matters - there are different bootloaders), describe your hardware environment, MSP code development process and environment, and what you are trying to accomplish.  Be VERY specific.  DON'T say "program the MSP", that's too vague.  If the LabVIEW code I have can be useful to you, I'll happily send it along.

Dave

David Boyd
Sr. Test Engineer
Abbott Labs
(lapsed) Certified LabVIEW Developer
0 Kudos
Message 53 of 60
(1,779 Views)

Hi Mr. David,

Good to see your replies in this forum about MSP430 RF2500.

I am also trying to acess data from Access Point node with the help of labview.

I tried using VISA to create drivers for the device but finally end up with some kind error like this

I created ini file for COM port 3, whenever i updating drivers of com port, its popping out message as below..

Error opening resource: 
ASRL3::INSTR

VISA: (Hex 0xBFFF0011) Insufficient location information or the device or resource is not present in the system.

I would like to use your VI as reference, could you forward me to below mail?

hsthota@gmail.com

0 Kudos
Message 54 of 60
(1,736 Views)

Hi David,

Could you please send me your VI for this? Seems very useful for me, would appriciate it. I am trying to communicate with my MSP430g2553 via Labview. My email is zrumpz@gmail.com

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 55 of 60
(1,704 Views)

Hi David,

Wow, your original post is quite an oldie, but certainly a goodie! I bet you wish you had just posted the zip file on the forum, rather than having to email to people individually. You could post the basic instructions, because, yes, there are some people who don't understand what your program does, along with the basic disclaimers. But, whatever you decided, it's good of you to share your efforts with other users on this forum. (People generally do tend to "pay it forward".)

With that said, could you please email me the zip file. It would be greatly appreciated. My email address is edjsch@yahoo.com. I'll reply on the forum.

Thank you and regards,

Ed

0 Kudos
Message 56 of 60
(1,659 Views)

David,

I received your email with the attachment intact. Thank you so much.

I'll take a look at it and let you know.

BTW, I'm using the MSP430F5437A. Yes, there are some differences in the BSL, but I'm sure your code will help.

FYI, I have used LabVIEW (V8.5) to build applications that communicate with our instruments via the serial port. We normally program (flash) the MSP430 with the Elprotronics JTAG programmer, via the JTAG interface, but we're looking at the possibility of having the micro updated in the field via the serial port.

I'll give you more info in my email reply (beyond the interest of this forum, I would think).

Thanks,

Ed

0 Kudos
Message 57 of 60
(1,649 Views)

Hi David,

I have an MSP430g2553 and am trying to read an integer value from the MSP to labview via serial communication. I made a "schematic" on labview but am not sure if Im heading in the right direction. could i take a look at your code? My email is rumlldes387@gmail.com

Thank you

0 Kudos
Message 58 of 60
(1,647 Views)

Ed,

You really don't want that library if you're using the 5437A - its BSL is flash-based, and they totally re-architected the protocol (has two distinct layers; a "core" layer and a "PI" (peripheral interface) layer implementing serial interface or USB/DFU).  I'll pack up the flash BSL support I have and send it to you.

OPOne,

I can already tell you that this code will be of little use to you.  This is NOT useful for communicating to your MSP application code.  It is specific to the built-in bootstrap loader feature of the various MSP430 parts.  You'll do much better looking on the forum for introductory LabVIEW programming for serial instrumentation via VISA.  You will need to understand what format of messages are expected to pass between your MSP code and a PC host.  That's outside of the scope of this thread.

Good luck!

Dave

David Boyd
Sr. Test Engineer
Abbott Labs
(lapsed) Certified LabVIEW Developer
Message 59 of 60
(1,620 Views)

David,

Thanks again for your emails with your code. I haven't looked at it yet, but will do shortly. I wanted to give you some well-earned kudos!

For you and other forum members, the link to TI's lates document (MSP430 Programming Via the Bootstrap Loader) is http://www.ti.com/lit/ug/slau319i/slau319i.pdf.

OPOne: David is correct. You need to write firmware in your MSP430 to accept and reply to serial port comands. You must develop commands to read and write a variable and/or arbitrary address locations. (The latter is analogous to the Peek and Poke commands in basic.) Then search for NI LabVIEW example code with the keyword "serial" in the Example Finder.

Good luck.

Ed

0 Kudos
Message 60 of 60
(1,578 Views)