LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you take part in LabVIEW betas?

I'm really late replying to this.  But I'll slip it in anyway.

I've always loved playing with beta software.  Alphas too.  Sometimes things don't work as expected.  But usually there's a bunch of extra features that the stable release is missing.  It feels pretty good to be the guy that already knows about those nifty things before anyone else.  

I suppose I'd be more active with beta software if I had more actual programming projects on the go.  But if the beta for LV 8.7 or perhaps a 64 bit version come along, I'd be more than happy to take them for a test drive.  I've also seen some huge improvements in the Linux version of LabVIEW.  If this keeps up, I may be able to convince a few more customers into considering it as a solution.  (Some are just absolutely dead set against anything that runs Windows)  

---------------------
Patrick Allen: FunctionalityUnlimited.ca
Message 11 of 22
(2,707 Views)

Our company beta tests instrumentation to select customers.  We offer free/discounted workshops,products & services.  All I got from last beta was a free support incident from a problem that stemed from code started in the beta and a bug in LV8.5.  Despite asking for an updated to next current version of LV we could not get a free or discounted fix.  Pull last incident ID for tech details.  Hell even a T-shirt offer would have been nice.

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 22
(2,598 Views)
I always seem to mess up and save things in the beta version. An "always save in version 8.n" option would go a long way for me. 
CLED (2016)
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 22
(2,506 Views)

I too got the beta Software and going to participate in testing.

Rgds,

Venky

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 22
(2,343 Views)

Hi,

I found a bug in labview beta and reported in the site.

In the website , it shows the status as open.

What does it mean?

Thanks in advance,

Venky

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 22
(2,287 Views)
You should not be discussing the beta testing in an open forum. There is a dedicated forum for the beta testing, and you should be posting any questions on the beta (or the program operation) there. Besides, this thread is for something else.
0 Kudos
Message 16 of 22
(2,280 Views)

Thing that can be done to make me more active:

Make bug reporting a module in LabVIEW, so I don't have to go back and forth between the website and the VI's. Easy submission of fault displaying examples vi a click of a menu item and adding comments in one go. After that I don't mind and check/add comments to the bug report via the website.

Regards,
André (CLA, CLED)
0 Kudos
Message 17 of 22
(2,113 Views)

I would love to participate, but there's just not enough time in the day. I think it might be beneficial to approach a would-be beta tester and ask them to do something very specific. Such as:

Download 8.6 Beta

Test the Wiring Diagram Cleanup function

Send us your thoughts.

un-install.

Done.

Message Edited by Broken Arrow on 03-03-2009 11:58 AM
Richard

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 22
(2,036 Views)

Broken Arrow wrote:

I would love to participate, but there's just not enough time in the day. I think it might be beneficial to approach a would-be beta tester and ask them to do something very specific. Such as:

Download 8.6 Beta

Test the Wiring Diagram Cleanup function

Send us your thoughts.

un-install.

Done.

If they knew where there might be issues, they would look at the issue themselves Smiley Wink.

The point of releasing the beta is basically a "did we overlook anything?"

Cory K
0 Kudos
Message 19 of 22
(1,967 Views)

With all respect Cory, I disagree. They know exactly what they've changed, and they want to know what we think - how it's working, etc. To load a program like LabVIEW and just "look for bugs" would be a full time job IMO. Hence my lack of participation, I guess. Smiley Wink

Richard

0 Kudos
Message 20 of 22
(1,945 Views)