cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do we have to convert the dll too if we convert vi to older version

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi All,

I am getting an error from a VI which I converted to an older version From LV 2014---> LV 6, though I can open the Vi in LV 6 , I cant run it as it gives me error that " VI is not executable".

This VI is for a Thorlab filter wheel  FW102c(which uses UART.dll).

( I am trying to replace the filter wheel to a new one  to work on my old system which uses windows xp and LV 6)

The Vi contalns a dll, it has a broken wire( I cant reconnect the dll or browse through the function pallete and find the dll), which I cant connect it back in LV 6. 

Does any one can tell me , what can be the problem?  

Attached in my vi and dll.

Error is seen in LV 6 on Windows xp. (the program and filter wheel works fine on Windows 7)

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,482 Views)

You'd want to check out Thorlabs support to see if their driver works on Windows XP.  That's not something you can assume.  It has nothing to do with LabVIEW version.  

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,448 Views)

If you are using LabView 6.0 with Windows XP, you will have a compatibility problem. 

See this document about the windows version compatibily with Labview:

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/B972242574D4BB99862575A7007520CB 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,421 Views)

@pauloatan wrote:

If you are using LabView 6.0 with Windows XP, you will have a compatibility problem. 

See this document about the windows version compatibily with Labview:

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/B972242574D4BB99862575A7007520CB 

Hi Pauloatan,

thank will take a look at it. I am already running the program in windows xp and LV 6 , the filter wheel program is just one subvi  which I need to change is because my old filter wheel is broken and thorlab now offer newer version of it which runs of Lv2011 and up, they do mentioned there software can run on windows xp and up.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,418 Views)

Here's the real question.

Why?

You're going to spend a great deal of effort to get yourself to an OS that Microsoft no longer supports, LabVIEW that NI no longer supports, and a driver that I'd expect Thorlabs no longer supports.  You're not doing this because you can't get it working in supported versions of the OS, LabVIEW, and the driver.  You already have the new version working.

What is it exactly you're hoping to gain?  This seems like a lot of work for something that's entirely counterintuitive. 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,399 Views)

@natasftw wrote:

Here's the real question.

Why?

You're going to spend a great deal of effort to get yourself to an OS that Microsoft no longer supports, LabVIEW that NI no longer supports, and a driver that I'd expect Thorlabs no longer supports.  You're not doing this because you can't get it working in supported versions of the OS, LabVIEW, and the driver.  You already have the new version working.

What is it exactly you're hoping to gain?  This seems like a lot of work for something that's entirely counterintuitive. 

Hi natasftw,

I understand, but we have our Main DAQ program  on windows xp and on LV 6 which is kind of very big , and my leader doenst want it to convert it to the newer version as we have go to great deal to convert everything to the newer version and spend a lot of resources which we dont have. 

So I am stuck with it. I guess I have to ocnvince my team lead to spend some resources to convert or reqrite everything to nrewer version

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,387 Views)
Solution
Accepted by AG1

You can check to see if Thorlabs has a driver that will work on the older version.

You can also look to see what means there are to communicate between VIs in LV6.  It might be easier to just get the two diff systems talking.

Either way, you're going to be investing resources.  It might make more sense to invest in something more forward thinking.

Message 7 of 7
(3,381 Views)