From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I need LabVIEW RT for a simple 10objects/sec image acquisition/processing?

I have a pretty simple application. A photoelectric sensor detects an object and triggers the image acquisition. The image of this object is then processed (a few morphological functions and particle analysis) and results are displayed in a table before a new image is acquired. The application also includes indicators for high/low limit, statistical calculations and a report generation. 7 to 10 particles per second are analyzed. Being still in the design phase, I use LabVIEW 7 Express. Do you think the LabVIEW Real-Time Module is necessary for my application?

Thank you very much for your help.
Bernd
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,250 Views)
Hey Bernd,
It sounds like LabVIEW 7 should be more than sufficient for your application. What particular about your application where you thinking might require real-time?
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,250 Views)
Hi Jared, thank you for replying.
I thought the application is a real-time application since data is acquired and processed as objects are detected, not acquired and then processed after all data is acquired. But I'm glad to hear that I don't have to invest in real-time hard- and software.
So if you think my application doesn't require real-time, what do you need real-time for?
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,250 Views)
Hello Bernd,

LabVIEW Real-Time is used to acquire robust and deterministic operation. It's basically a stripped down operating system that runs your application, and that's it. There's no additional software running in your background that can clog up the processing queue and lose the exact execution that your application requires.

Yes, you could use Real-Time for your application, but I don't think it would be necessary. If anything, you may be limited by the hardware that you use and whether or not it will be able to acquire as many images as you would like in that short period of time.

National Instruments does have a real-time Compact Vision System which you may not to inquiry further about. I would strongly suggest posting a very simi
lar question to the Vision discussion forum to see what developers in that area think about your application. The numbers that you mention alone may light up a few light bulbs as to which LabVIEW target is generally used to reach the goal you desire.

Hope this helps.

Jared
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,250 Views)