LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Displaying workflow of partially automated process

Hi,

I have a test rig that is only partially automated, some manual inputs or handling of test equipment is required to complete the entire workflow of the test process.

I'm looking for a nice way to display events and give instructions to the operator in plain language. Previously the workflow instructions and values to be documented were given and documented on a paper sheet with a numbered list of actions to perform and readings to be taken etc.

My first idea was to use a multicolumn listbox for this. It could have a column for events or instructions and another column for displaying associated values or allowing the operator to enter values or check off actions (possibly with a timestamp).

The entire contents of this listbox could then be saved to complement the measurement data file.

I've searched these forums  and the net for inspiration but can't seem to find anything near this.

I think someone must have had a similar need...

Suggestions are appreciated.

Regards,

JR

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,141 Views)

My suggestion would be to not overload a MCLB with all this functionality. Assuming you don't want to use something like Teststand to manage the process, here's one way this can work:

1. You can use a listbox or MCLB to show the progress. You can use cell colors or symbols to mark progress.
  2. You have a separate VI for each step of the process. This VI has everything needed for that step (instructions, controls, indicators, etc.).
  3. You run this VI when you get to that step and use a subpanel to display this VI to the user in a dedicated area of the UI.
  4. My suggestion would be to use events to communicate between the VIs. You would need events to report the progress to the MCLB, maybe events to tell the step VI to stop early if there's trouble, etc.

Jack Dunaway had a good presentation on events and there's video of it here - https://lavag.org/topic/16091-ni-week-2012-videos (follow the FTP login instructions and look at the NIWeek 2013 presentations).

This is a general description and I have no specific examples for you. As you try to implement it, you will probably find various gotchas you need to handle, but it can definitely work. If you don't want to do this, I expect programs like PTP Sequencer or Teststand can help you, but I have no experience with them and they might be overkill for what you need.

This is one of those cases where we earn our pay.  Designing a UI that is useful and usable at the same time is one of the hardest parts of the job.

One option to consider (and maybe reject) is a web interface.  There are some examples in the example finder.  You can embed a web browser in part of a front-panel, and point it to .html files (no need for a web server).  It can be a great way to give operators detailed instructions that are also easy to change later by more people.

You can also use the Windows Event Viewer as a model.  You could use a MCLB with simple summaries of information, then if the operator clicks on a row (value change; make sure selection is '1 or 0'), show more details elsewhere, like an embedded web browser.