From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Display message pop up stops independent loop

I have two independent loops, a DAQ loop and a UI loop. The DAQ loop is dynamically launched using Open vi reference with option Ox80 (Call and forget) and a start asynchronous call node. No inputs or outputs are passed to the vi. Communication to and from the DAQ loop is done with LV2 style globals. The DAQ loop is a while loop that executes once per second.

If I open a One Button Dialog in the UI, the DAQ loop is not interrupted (it continues to iterate). However, if I open Display message to user the DAQ loop stops iterating until the popup is acknowledged.

Why is this? Either pop up will stop the UI loop, as expected.

My goal is that the DAQ loop should have one core to itself. The UI and any windows processes should share the other available cores.

I would appreciate any thoughts on this. Is this the best way to launch the DAQ loop.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(4,525 Views)

The Display Message subVI actually uses the One Button Dialog at its core and the subVIS above that use Same as Caller execution.

Can you simplify your code and share something that replicates this issue? I wouldn't expect a parallel loop to be stopped by a dialog in a separate loop.

Cheers

--------,       Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines                                           ,--------

'---   >The shortest distance between two nodes is a straight wire>   ---'

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(4,518 Views)
The pop which you are referring is implemented in dynamically launched vi's or in main loop.
It's better to share the code for clear understanding.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Palanivel Thiruvenkadam | பழனிவேல் திருவெங்கடம்
LabVIEW™ Champion |Certified LabVIEW™ Architect |Certified TestStand Developer

Kidlin's Law -If you can write the problem down clearly then the matter is half solved.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(4,487 Views)
Message 4 of 7
(4,485 Views)

I took all the UI and DAQ stuff out of the program so that I could upload it. I left the state machine, event structure and replaced the DAQ routines with a wait. Then I ran it and couldnt replicate the behaviour I described.

If that wasnt enough, I ran the program (very slightly modified) and couldn't replicate the behaviour that I saw before! I will keep checking into it.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(4,426 Views)

Does this launch program guarantee me a core, assuming one is available? Or do I need to use a timed loop to do that?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(4,424 Views)

You can't dedicate a VI to run on a particular core or thread, the compiler work together with the CPU (and OS) to try to run it as best as possible.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(4,340 Views)