From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Display build number in application.

Solved!
Go to solution

@gmart - thanks for that extra info. For the current project I'm working with LabVIEW 8.6.1 Bitter experience over many years (unrelated to LabVIEW I may add) has taught me not to upgrade tools mid project. I do however have LabVIEW 2009, and will move to that for future work, so it's nice to know the feature is there.

Regards,

Bandit

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 14
(1,977 Views)

Nice, this internl function will be very useful.

Paul Falkenstein
Coleman Technologies Inc.
CLA, CPI, AIA-Vision
Labview 4.0- 2013, RT, Vision, FPGA
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 14
(1,958 Views)

gmart wrote:
In LabVIEW 2009 (Windows only), you can use the fileVersionInfo.llb located in the labview\vi.lib\Platform directory to retrieve the version information of a stand-alone application or shared library programmatically.

The FileVersionInfo VI in that library uses a bunch of Windows API calls. That seems awfully complicated vs the .NET method. Is there a speed advantage? I would guess there probably is given the poor performance of .NET within LabVIEW, but I haven't tried it with LV 2009.

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 14
(1,943 Views)

I posted this to another question, but out of all the solutions, I think you'll like this the best:

Try this on for size... I went a little bananas and made a VI that can not only get the build version when the VI is in an executable, it can ALSO extract the build version from a specified project that is currently open when in source mode. It also has decent error reporting too.

Easy to use:

Use.png

Voila! Update the build version in the project, and it updates in your application no matter how you're running it. I converted to LabVIEW 8.6 so almost anyone can use this.

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 14
(1,228 Views)