From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disk file not appearing in installer "Source Files" list

Solved!
Go to solution

I have a file (extension: .rtf) that I need to include in the installer of my application.  I have triple checked (at least triple) the location of the file on the physical disk.  Looking at the project, under "Build

I have had to work around project .xml issues before, so I tried adding the following lines manually, imitating the entries for a file that gets installed correctly (yes, new GUID):

<Item Name="DataCenter_Help.rtf" Type="Document" URL "../data/DataCenter_Help.rtf" />

<Property Name="Source[438].dest" Type="Str">{3c7ddf5e-bdc9-48a6-869b-c9816eb9aec5}</Property>
                <Property Name="Source[438].name" Type="Str">DataCenter_Help.rtf</Property>
                <Property Name="Source[438].tag" Type="Ref">/My Computer/Support Files/DataCenter_Help.rtf</Property>
                <Property Name="Source[438].type" Type="Str">File</Property>

and I modified this line:

<Property Name="SourceCount" Type="Int">439</Property>

from 436 (which had to be corrupt, since the last Source indice in the file was 437) to 439.

I suppose the first words I'll hear are "don't hack that file", but it isn't like there is a ready alternative since this is buggy.  As I was checking and rechecking because adding all this did nothing, I notice that the "open project file dialog" is showing me a "snapshot" from two months ago ... the date on the file is 05-21-2012.  I've modified this file several times since then.

Something is very rotten in Denmark, and I doubt it has anything to do with my additions to the .lvproj (XML) file.

Windows 7
LabVIEW 2011 SP1

I'm going to restart LabVIEW, try again, restart Windows, try again, but since I have already tried these a few times, I have little hope.

Certified LabVIEW Developer
NI-VLM Administrator
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,102 Views)

The .lvproj file...

NI-VLM Administrator
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,101 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author JulieC

I fixed the real issue, though the whole "last edited in May" thing when I open the project file is still there and still creepy.

To answer my own question ... you have to add the file to "Support Files" at the same level as "Build Specifications".  Then it will be available under "Support Files" within the Build Specifications.  I backed out the changes I made by hand (which resulted in a "successful" build that blew up MSI), did this, happy happy.

NI-VLM Administrator
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,098 Views)