From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disappearing label oddity

Hi X,

LabVIEW will ask to save the type definition as a .ctl so this is an expected behavior. Once you bring the .ctl file to LabVIEW you will notice that the labels are there. You could also create a regular type definition like you did before and re-enable the labels.

I am attaching the .ctl file so you can drag it over to the block diagram. It should display the labels you included in the original cluster constant.

Regards,

kruiz17

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 14
(565 Views)

@kruiz17: First off, you provided a LV 2014 version of your control. I was discussing LV 2013 (although the "problem" I reported also exists in LV 2014).

Second, my post was not about "how can I have the labels displayed in my Typed Def control" but "why do the label disappear".

Third, you did not explain to me why, when I have got a set of options checked off and I make a constant a Typed Def, there is no need to save the type immediately, while if I check off all the options you suggested, then making a constant a Typed Def suddenly requires me to save the corresponding Typed Def control before I can even do anything.

In other words, I was initially pointing to an "oddity" (see the post title?) and now I am facing a bunch more oddities.

I think I am going to call it off at this stage, because clearly that has nobody's attention and this is probably the kind of inconsistencies that lie very low on LV developers' radar.

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 14
(540 Views)

@X. wrote:

Note: they are actually hidden, as proven by the fact that if I double-click the new typed def constant (to change it into an icon) and then double-click it again (to revert it back to a expanded version), I get this:

I'd argue the exact opposite.  If they were hidden, but still there, I would expect expanding it to save their space.  Either way, it's certainly not proof of them being hidden vs removed.

Given your threads that I've seen, I expect most of your concerns are backburner ideas.  You pestered Darrin for pages upon pages of a thread with some intuitive ideas and some you described as "obvious" and simultaneously "not natural."  The issues you worry about are typically cosmetic corner cases rather than something functional.  I hope they focus on functional over appeasing your personal cosmetic preferences.  Even if this gets changed, it's unlikely we will see a fix before next August.  At that point, is it really worth stressing now?

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 14
(529 Views)

@natasftw wrote:

@X. wrote:

Note: they are actually hidden, as proven by the fact that if I double-click the new typed def constant (to change it into an icon) and then double-click it again (to revert it back to a expanded version), I get this:

I'd argue the exact opposite.  If they were hidden, but still there, I would expect expanding it to save their space.  Either way, it's certainly not proof of them being hidden vs removed.

Given your threads that I've seen, I expect most of your concerns are backburner ideas.  You pestered Darrin for pages upon pages of a thread with some intuitive ideas and some you described as "obvious" and simultaneously "not natural."  The issues you worry about are typically cosmetic corner cases rather than something functional.  I hope they focus on functional over appeasing your personal cosmetic preferences.  Even if this gets changed, it's unlikely we will see a fix before next August.  At that point, is it really worth stressing now?

But somebody needs to bring these issues up.  Sure, the big problems get the higher priorities, but these issues would be assigned NO priority instead of a lower priority if he didn't bring them up.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 14
(511 Views)