From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disable table edit

HI ,

Would like to know if there is any way to disable editing the table contents .

I tried to disable the table which does not allow me scroll .

I would just need to disable editing and retain the scroll properties.

Sundar.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(5,645 Views)
Change it to an indicator instead of a control.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 13
(5,643 Views)

I have a similar problem, but I want to allow the user to set values inside the table at the start of the program. When they hit a start button I want to lock the table from being edited, but still allow scrolling.

So far I've just been disabling the table but this also disables scrolling.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13
(4,867 Views)

I don't know how you're currently set up, but you can have a boolean in a shift register along with a 'Key Down?' filter event, and wire the boolean shift register to the 'Discard?' output.

A simple example is attached. Does this work for you?

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13
(4,859 Views)

A kind of hacky way to do it would be to put a transparent decoration over the table portion of the table.  When you want someone to be able to edit it, then make the decoration (by using a reference to it) invisible.  When you want editing to be locked, make the decoration visible.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(4,854 Views)

Make the table an indicator, but duplicate the table as control into a subVI and pop that subVI as a dialog when a mouse-down occurs on the table. Make sure the table gets populated with the current values on each call. Once you no longer allow editing, simply no longer pop the subVI.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(4,849 Views)

Also have a look at the discussions of this old idea.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13
(4,845 Views)

cbutcher a écrit :

I don't know how you're currently set up, but you can have a boolean in a shift register along with a 'Key Down?' filter event, and wire the boolean shift register to the 'Discard?' output.

A simple example is attached. Does this work for you?

A user will still be able to copy/paste data into the table even if the Key Down event is discarded. A "classic" indirect way to do this is to put a transparent decoration on top of the table (but not covering up the scrollbar) and to use the decoration visible property to lock/unlock the table.

edit: seems like a took a very long time writing this reply 🙂

Ben64

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13
(4,841 Views)

@ben64 wrote:

cbutcher a écrit :

you can have a boolean in a shift register along with a 'Key Down?' filter event, and wire the boolean shift register to the 'Discard?' output.

A user will still be able to copy/paste data into the table even if the Key Down event is discarded.

Thanks for the heads up!

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13
(4,832 Views)

Thanks for the advice.  Referring to the old idea discussion, I'm surprised nobody suggested a "disable data entry" property node.  I understand their hesitation to make a "enable scrolling while control is disabled" node, but disabling data entry while allowing scrolling seems like a basic feature.

In the meantime I suppose I'll just add a transparent decoration above the table control.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(4,819 Views)