LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disable Structure (bug or expected behavior?)

Solved!
Go to solution

why a disable_structure does not allow a wire not connected to anything ?
... and allows a wire with a loose end.

because it's not possible to put the wire into the structure!
The wire (not connected to anything) is always behind the structure.

SR1.png

why this behavior ? is this a bug ? ... or an expected behavior ?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(2,955 Views)

This looks just like you are placing the structure over top of the wire.  It does that for all other structures as well.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(2,913 Views)

Although I can't imagine why you'd want to keep the disconnected wire, you can select it through the structure and paste it inside.

Jim
You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
For he does not know what will happen; So who can tell him when it will occur? Eccl. 8:7

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(2,907 Views)

@jcarmody:

Although I can't imagine why you'd want to keep the disconnected wire

sorry, my english is not good enough for explain that.

@crossrulz:

it does that for all other structures as well.

in this case, the question becomes :
why the labview structures don't accept a disconnected wire (disconnected both side) within itself,

while a wire with a loose end is accepted ? (disconnected one side)

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(2,895 Views)

@ouadji wrote:

why a disable_structure does not allow a wire not connected to anything ?
... and allows a wire with a loose end.

because it's not possible to put the wire into the structure!
The wire (not connected to anything) is always behind the structure.

What is your LabVIEW version. I just tested In LabVIEW 2013 and I can place a broken wire fragement freely inside a diagram disable structure and the VI is no longer broken.

Wires without any function connected are never included when dragging a structure around them. 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(2,884 Views)

I can place a broken wire fragement freely inside a diagram disable structure and the VI is no longer broken.

yes, me too, there is no problem in this case.

the problem comes from this behavior :  Wires without any function connected are never included when dragging a structure around them.

Is it a wanted behavior by developers? and if "yes" ... why this choice?

In the case of the "Disable structure", I think this behavior should be different,  and allows to drag this structure around unconnected wires.

This structure should allow to disable any code, Including the unconnected wires.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(2,871 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author ouadji

This is common to all structures. if you try to drag any structure exclusively around wires (broken or not), the wires will stay underneath. There are already existing ideas for that in general (see e.g. here.)

If this should be changed, it should be done globally for all structures. There are arguments for both sides and sometimes one is better than the other. Maybe we should be able to select based on what we need (e.g. by using ctrl-drag to include wires and plain dragging to keep the current behavior).

Message 7 of 8
(2,864 Views)

This is common to all structures.

if you try to drag any structure exclusively around wires (broken or not), the wires will stay underneath.

Indeed, it's true, you are right.

broken or not, it's not possible to drag a structure around wires (+1)

by using ctrl-drag to include wires and plain dragging to keep the current behavior

great idea! ... allow both behaviors, it's my dream   Smiley Happy

thank you altenbach for these explanations and for your time.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(2,848 Views)