From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disable LabVIEW sub-componenet that causes long boot times

Hello,

I am creating the installation files for an application I built. I had done this previously but the computer experienced long boot times after installation of the executable and the runtime engine 2014. I came across the article in this link: http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/814FEF952915137686257B6B006C5F4F and got the solution to the problem. The issue is that I would like to disable or to stop from installing the component that causes the long boot times (I think the file name is nimdnsNSPTool). This program I am compiling will be used by several people and a clean, easy installation is needed. I am using LabVIEW 2014 32-bit on a Windows 7 Enterprise PC.

Thanks for your help!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,493 Views)

You can include the batch file referenced in the article and get it to run after the installation has completed - it's an option in the installer build specification.

LabVIEW Champion, CLA, CLED, CTD
(blog)
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,491 Views)

Hi Sam_Sharp,

thanks for the suggestion. I tried it and the batch file is loaded at the end of the installation. However it fails to remove the 32-bit instance of nimdnsNSP and the long boot times still occur (see attached image). Not even running the batch file separately fixes the problem after that. Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Mik.aza

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,402 Views)

It might be because the installation has just happened it can't modify/delete/unregister the service - the script might work after the system has rebooted? Looking at the batch file, if the 64-bit version fails, it won't try to fix the 32-bit version.

You can use the 'sc' command to manipulate services - you can modify the existing batch file or write your own which stops/disables that service.

Have you tried contacting NI support about this issue? Most people are able to install LabVIEW (applications) without causing long boot times so I think there's some sort of compatibility or configuration issue here.

LabVIEW Champion, CLA, CLED, CTD
(blog)
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,364 Views)

Hi,

i have the same issue with long boot times (~20min) on several laptops in my company.

Operating system is always windows 7 64bit on different Lenovo laptop models (one of them with a fresh installed windows 7 and no other software except some basics as MS Office etc.)

The long boot time only occures when NI drivers are enabled and no network cable is attached.

If i disable all NI drivers on windows startup or connect them to the local network , all of them boot normaly.

When connected via ethernet cable (not wlan) the boot time is also some seconds longer than with disabled drivers.

I could not yet test the solution of disabling the nimdnsNSP but will tests this within the next days and report back.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,109 Views)

Try using the service manager to change the service start-up type from "Automatic" to "Automatic (Delayed start)" in those NI services.

Capture.PNG

those Lenovos are infamous for that long boot trying to start all services at once.  My Asus Laptop doesn't exhibit the problem but other Laptops I've had have really needed that tweakSmiley Wink

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,101 Views)

Thanks, i will also try this.

The solution of disabling nimdnsNSP already worked on all machines and as we dont use the network services at the moment it is maby the best to leave it disabled.

I did not have this problem on my machine for about two years, it appeared at a certain moment about one year ago so it may well be that an update of the NI services caused it.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,047 Views)