LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disable/Enable debugging for all vi's in project

Solved!
Go to solution

The question is quite simple. Is there a way to globally enable and disable debugging. I know there is a slight performance penalty for having it enabled, and I'm trying to figure out how much performance i can squeeze out of my algorithm. It would be nice if i didn't have to go into each individual vi and toggle this setting.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(4,563 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Taylorh140

There is no simple way in the IDE to accomplish this purely for development purposes. If you are creating a build specification (executable, source distribution etc.) then you can adjust this for the distribution itself so that the "build" has debugging disabled. You can also script a simple VI to go through and programtically modify this setting on a group of VIs.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(4,556 Views)

If you are looking for performance improvement, you may also be interested in turning off the automatic error handling.  This can also be done for a batch of VIs using VI scripting.  But if you are having performance issues, don't expect this to fix all of your problems, the overhead in most cases is very small.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(4,538 Views)

If squeezing performance from a few algorithm VIs you can change their priority to Very high or Real time.

Though, is the code decent to start with, or are you putting make-up on a pig?

/Y

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(4,496 Views)

@Yamaeda wrote:

Though, is the code decent to start with, or are you putting make-up on a pig?

This is what I suspect.  Also there is a private method for determining if a VI can be inlined.  Of course it doesn't detect things like Call Chain, and uninitialized shift registers, which are functions that can be inlined, but can behave differently.  

Our internal reuse library has a pre-build VI that gets ran which turns off automatic error handling, and debugging (among a few other features).  This library has also gone through an audit process finding VIs that can be inlined.  It is a little annoying to have to change those settings back when debugging some odd behavior but the idea is that reuse shouldn't need to be debugged, it should just work.  I guess that's not always the case.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(4,479 Views)