From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Digital device to use to measure 3.3V logic with 5k pull-up and 10k series resistance

I have a digital instrument with the setup that is shown below.  I wish to measure the logic state of the line with a National Instruments device.  Which one do you recommend?  

Trials and Failures: I tried using the usb-6501 but because of the 5V and 5k ohm pull-up on the insides of this device, I was getting bad readings and was told by my peers that this was the wrong instrument to use.  I also tried using the digital pins on the usb-8451 and received the incorrect measurements. I need to figure out why the usb-8451 seemed to have the input pins floating when the logic level I provided as an input was a LOW.

The figure below is a representation of my signal source:

problem.png

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,436 Views)

Because NI (and many other manufacturers) like to have pull up or pull down resistors in their intruments, I would recommend adding a digital buffer chip between your circuit and the NI DIO.  That will provide some isolation between the circuit and the DIO's bias resistors.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,424 Views)

Thank you for the response.  Since my DUT is already assembled, it is a little late to add chips.  However, a coworker suggested adding a 0 ohm jumper on top fo the 10k resistor.  I will see if this works and provide an update. 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,395 Views)

Measure it with an analog input?

Lynn

Message 4 of 6
(2,392 Views)

@Denn2 wrote:

Thank you for the response.  Since my DUT is already assembled, it is a little late to add chips.  However, a coworker suggested adding a 0 ohm jumper on top fo the 10k resistor.  I will see if this works and provide an update. 

I was recommending adding the chip to your test circuitry, not the DUT.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 5 of 6
(2,385 Views)

We purchased a couple of USB-6001 that have 13 DIO, 8AI, and 2AO and I will be connecting these to the lines to see if they are able to detect the correct LOW and HIGH voltages.  My guess is that because of the high-input impedance of the analog inputs (>1G Ohm), this will surely work.

I will come back and post an update once I have tested this.

Thank you all for your time.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,227 Views)