From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Digital IO Problems

I have a strange one here.  I just built a brand new machine with LabVIEW 2011 SP 1, DAQ-mx 9.3.5 and MAX 5.1 as a replacement for an almost dead computer.  I have a PCIe-6509 digital card connected to a ER-16 and a PCIe-6321 connected to a SCB-68 installed.  Everything on the 6321 is working as expected, the digital channels are acting quite strange though.

The program was acting funny, so I created the very simple VI I attached so I could verify the channels without the main program.  I use the false case to manually switch the output and in the true case it turns 3 channels on at the same time.  So each channel will work correctly when turned on.  But if i switch cases to turn the 3 valves on at the same time nothing happens.  I know the signal is being sent from the front panel booleans, but the hardware does nothing.

I also found strange thins turning the valves on manually in different orders.

Turn ISO ON 1st  >> Roughing pump will not turn on, but the roughing valve will work

Turn Rough Valve on 1st >> Roughing pump will not turn on and the iso valve does not work

Turn on Roughing pump 1st >> roughing valve will work, but the ISO valve does not work.

But then if I only active 1 valve at a time the all work, just not together.

Any idea of what is going on here?  I have tried restarting the machine and using the simple vi attached.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,407 Views)

Put an indicator on the Error Out terminal from the DAQmx Write.  See if you're ever getting an error.  You may want to put a conditional error probe on the error wire set to pause if an error occurs.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,394 Views)

No errors being reported from the DAQmx write.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,380 Views)

Hardware problem with the ER-16.  I was able to dig it out and the relay lights come on, but when multiple channels are switched on the LED's get quite dim.  So back to NI since they said it would work.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,364 Views)

Check that your power supply is not being maxed out when multiple channels are turned on. How many amps are you drawing per channel and how many amps can your system supply?

Rob

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,360 Views)

Originally the test setup was run by a 6503 card and everything worked fine.  I just plugged a new computer into the setup where I had to go with the 6509 card because of no PCI slots only PCIe on the new machine.  Since this was an existing test setup I will have to dig to find that info. 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,353 Views)