LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difference of FFT Spectrum and Power Spectrum

Hi all,

I'm confused on what actually is the difference between the FFT Spectrum and Power Spectrum?

I've tried simulating a sine signal, and perform the FFT spectrum and Power Spectrum. They both show the same graph.

Untitled.png

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(4,201 Views)

Anyone who has an idea on this?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(4,167 Views)

I don't recognize your transform subVIs. Are they from a toolkit or from an ancient LabVIEW version? Can you attach your VI?

In any case, the FFT also contains phase information, but you are currently only looking at the magnitude. There is a second output for phase for the FFT case!

Instead, use the subVI that produces the real and imaginary parts, then change the phase of the input signal and see what happens e.g. to the real or imaginary part.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(4,149 Views)

Where are the FFT Spectrum and Power SpectrumVIs are from? Also, the Sine Waveform.vi generates a pure 2k single tone, How are the noise, 3k and 4k tones generated?

Ben64

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(4,139 Views)

The FFT Spectrum and Power Spectrum are located under Sound and Vibration --> Stimulus - Response Test --> Baseband FFT

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(4,119 Views)

@gjjude wrote:

The FFT Spectrum and Power Spectrum are located under Sound and Vibration --> Stimulus - Response Test --> Baseband FFT

That's not plain LabVIEW, but from a toolkit I guess.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(4,101 Views)

While they're fairly similar, you can see some differences if you look at the inputs and outputs.  For instance, you can also see the phase of your FFT spectrum with the FFT Spectrum (mag-phase) VI.  You can also switch the Power Spectrum to/from dB with its boolean input, though you can also do that with a unit conversion VI down the line on either of them.

John M.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(4,046 Views)

what your problem solved?I was plagued by the problem

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(3,854 Views)

@Mrwang wrote:

what your problem solved?I was plagued by the problem

We found that there was no problem. Please explain what you still perceive as problem.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(3,847 Views)
I'm sorry, I carefully read your previous explanation, understand! Can I ask your other question? I'm doing noise analysis, very confused!
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(3,843 Views)