LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difference in Performance bbased on allow Debugging option in Execution category of Vi Properties

VI Properties.PNGHi All

After Creating a VI if i run the VI Analyzer it will througha warning error for Enabling allow debugging in VI Properties Categories

I am working on a Project where more than thousand VI's are used. whats the imapact it will create based on peforrmance, if i uncheck enable debugging in all VI's

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Palanivel Thiruvenkadam | பழனிவேல் திருவெங்கடம்
LabVIEW™ Champion |Certified LabVIEW™ Architect |Certified TestStand Developer

Kidlin's Law -If you can write the problem down clearly then the matter is half solved.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,644 Views)

Palanivel,

"Enable Debugging" suppresses specific optimization steps during compilation.

You can learn about compiler optimizations here. One example of disabled optimization for "debuggable" VIs would be structure folding.

Please note that depending on your code complexity, the compiler also disables specific optimizations. You can check the VI complexity in the VI properties as well (Memory Usage). You can modify the complexity when the compiler starts to disable specific optimizations in the LV options (Environment >> Compiler).

Norbert

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
Message 2 of 8
(3,632 Views)

So you meant to say this option helps during compilation and not during code execution

Reason for my question is we have a team of 10 Members and the Project includes sub VI's in the Range of thousands, if it helps me in execution time or process improvemnet i can suggest to use them with Disabling Debugging

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kidlin's Law -If you can write the problem down clearly then the matter is half solved.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,617 Views)

@PalanivelThiruvenkadam wrote:

So you meant to say this option helps during compilation and not during code execution

Reason for my question is we have a team of 10 Members and the Project includes sub VI's in the Range of thousands, if it helps me in execution time or process improvemnet i can suggest to use them with Disabling Debugging

Disabling debugging allows the compiler to perform more optimizations that will (theoretically) decrease your execution time.  It could actually increase your compile time (not likely enough for you to notice).

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 4 of 8
(3,611 Views)
After reading the same warning, I wrote a little utility that goes through all my VIs and turns off debugging. However, I have never seen it make an actual difference in real or perceived execution speed. I have, likewise, never seen it break code. Consequently for me at least, turning off debugging is something that I do because "I should" and not because I have seen any difference.

Sort of like having a salad at lunch...

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(3,609 Views)

So we can conclude like its a warning which creates not much difference during a execution time.No matter whether its enabled or disabled my code executes at the more or less same rate .

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(3,599 Views)
Yes, but the key words are "my code". If the option exists, there are obviously situations where it does make a difference. Just because you and I don't see a change with the code we are working on right now, it doesn't means the code we work on tomorrow will not materially benefit from it -- hence my utility.

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,592 Views)

Actually, debugging is something you want to have during code development. VI Analyzer is a tool you are using when finalizing code for release. Hence the rule to warn you about "Enable Debugging".

However, if you are building an EXE or PPL, the default script disables debugging for all VIs during the build process (the ones being put into the file, NOT the original ones!). So if you are building an EXE, you can likely ignore this warning.

But to be fair: There have been rare incidences where disabling debugging had enough influence a such that race conditions in the code became effective. That is also one reason for VI Analyzer to check this setting.

Norbert

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,586 Views)