From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difference between Runtime version and Developer version of LabVIEW.

Solved!
Go to solution

What is Version  of LabVIEW called Runtime engine?

Is it only for viewing VIs built in LabVIEW developer version?

Can't we develope or edit VIs in RTE version of LabVIEW?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(9,234 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author vaibhavinegi

@vaibhavinegi wrote:

What is Version  of LabVIEW called Runtime engine?

There is a seperate Runtime version for every release of LabVIEW.  You can open up NI MAX and expand software to see what is installed in your computer.

Is it only for viewing VIs built in LabVIEW developer version?

Without the development environment, you cannot edit LabVIEW VIs.  The Runtime Engine is responsible for actually running the code so you can build LabVIEW programs into executables and run them on other machines without the development environment.

Can't we develope or edit VIs in RTE version of LabVIEW?

No

Matt J | National Instruments | CLA
Message 2 of 7
(9,212 Views)

Can you please brief on wat other machines in below statement refers to.

" The Runtime Engine is responsible for actually running the code so you can build LabVIEW programs into executables and run them on "other machines" without the development environment "

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(8,695 Views)

Different computer.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 4 of 7
(8,693 Views)

It is similar to the Java and CLI(.net) runtime engines.  Each version of LabVIEW has its own runtime engine which contains libraries of common shared components (such as Array, String, and Mathematical functions) as well as an OS specific Just in Time compiler that actually runs the VI.

The Runtime engine is used to execute the LabVIEW built executables, just as the Java Runtime Engine is used to execute Java programs.

To view/edit LabVIEW programs requires the Development environment, which is separate from the Runtime engine.

Jon D
Certified LabVIEW Developer.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(8,672 Views)

@Mythilt wrote:

... as well as an OS specific Just in Time compiler that actually runs the VI.

I suppose I am drifting off into the nit-picking arena but ...

The LV application builder spits out machine code which is executable. The Run Time Engine provides the environment that is needed but does not compile anything.

Now that I have set the record straight I will stop with the hair-splitting.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(8,660 Views)

I will be honest, I wasn't sure if you needed to compile specifically for Linux/Mac machines or if LabVIEW used intermediate code to be system agnostic. Having never had to use LabVIEW on Linux/Mac, I just know that certain functions are not available on non-windows machines.

Jon D
Certified LabVIEW Developer.
Message 7 of 7
(8,651 Views)