LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Did I just lose my VI? Load Error Code 8.

Hi All,

I'm frantically trying to find a solution for this problem so I've come to you guys. I am running Labview 2011 on W7 64-bit. I was working on my top-level host VI for my cRIO project, and it began acting strange when I tried a "Save all" (as I do every 30 mins or so). The typical progress bar did not come up so show the VIs being saved but the screens were also not frozen.

I closed my VI and tried to reopen and was presented with this beauty:

error.PNG

All of my searches relating to this message pointed to incomptability between Labview versions and Runtime Environment versions. However, I only have 2011 installed and RT 8.0. This doesn't make any sense.

The only thing I did that was slightly out of the ordinary today was download a VI from another thread for referencing an example. It very well could have been a different version, but this should have no bearing on my VI. I'm in a panic right now as I may have lost 40-50 hours of work.

The only redeeming thing I can think of is that I did save my current VI as a copy of another VI about 2 weeks ago. The original had 4 months of work on it, with this version that is no longer opening having an additional 2 weeks, but still, I hope there is a solution. Thanks for the support.

Edit: Also just noticed my VI is 21 KB, down from > 400 KB on the original. This doesn't make any sense. Why did it get smaller. This really sucks.

- Scott

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,165 Views)

Well,

You now know enough to go get some sort of code repository.  There are even free ones out there!  I admit that this is a painful way to learn that lesson but probably very effective, right?

It is "Possible" that an NI AE could recover a working version of the vi.  Did you call tech support?

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,154 Views)

Sorry but it sounds like information was lost some how and any other replies to this thread are likely just going to say similar things like "Should have used source code" which while true doesn't help bring down the blood pressure any.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,148 Views)

I don't understand why it's acceptable for "save all" to cause a file to become corrupted. But thanks for the suggestion nevertheless.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,144 Views)

@ScottKenyon wrote:

I don't understand why it's acceptable for "save all" to cause a file to become corrupted. But thanks for the suggestion nevertheless.

No one said it was acceptable.  NI does their best to create products that work without bugs, but bug free software just doesn't exist.  If a save all didn't work, I'm sure NI would be very interested in reproducing the steps that caused this to prevent it from happening again.  The nature of the failure makes it difficult to reproduce and fix.  I wonder if NI could understand anthing about what happened if they have the VI.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,140 Views)