LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dialog Confusion on File Rename

Zach,

I just renamed another VI inside LabVIEW and again saw the same dialog.

It could be that the missing link here is that the VIs are being saved (with the new name) into folders that are designated as "auto-populating" in the Project. Perhaps there is some internal confusing after LabVIEW has saved the file with the new name, but then goes back to build the auto-poulated list -- at which point it would encounter the new filename that wasn't resolved. (This time, I didn't see the second dialog. Not sure what was different about the previous time as compared to this time.)

Anyway, just thought I might pass along this additional piece of the puzzle. Maybe this clue will help you recreate the dialog.

-- D.  

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 13
(786 Views)

You might want to take a look at this article about handling changing files inside projects. It is complicated but might adresss the root cause of the messages you are seeing. The section about Source Code Control and this article should be relevant.

Zach P.

Staff Software Engineer | LabVIEW R&D | National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 13
(773 Views)

I have just got "The file [FULL FILEPATH HERE] has been changed on disk by an external action. Would you like to revert the VI to reflect this change?" when I renamed a VI in an auto-populating sub-folder of a project, by right clicking the file and selecting "Rename...". I was so confused by the message that I asked Mr Google what the heck it meant, and he took me straight here, although I remain not much wiser. So this bad wording is still there in LabVIEW 2013 at least.

As far as I can see the result is exactly the same whichever of the Revert or Cancel buttons are clicked, in both cases the rename continues and the callers of the Sub-VI are updated, so it would be nice (and would have saved me a fair amount of time) if someone at NI just removed the dialog for this particular circumstance.

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 13
(698 Views)