LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Diagram Disable causes error in FPGA code

Plus this isn't restricted to FPGA.  Here's a standard snippet from a VI with no project.  Note that the array is not fixed to a size.  The array is of I32.  The broken wire says that the sink is a double.  Notice I did not say a 1D array of double!  The disabled case is wired straight through.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 22
(869 Views)

In the past the Increment function had some problems with non-double data types.  I thought they had fixed that.

Lynn

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 22
(861 Views)

I did some looking and this has already been reported to R&D (# 291212). As crossrulz mentioned, unchecking the Adapt to Source property for the increment primitive (and optionally specifying an overriding output type) should work around the issue.

Donovan
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 22
(860 Views)

Unfortunately, that work around does not work for all numeric primitives, Absolute Value for instance.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 22
(853 Views)

I wouldn't be using arrays. They consume a lot of FPGA resources.

Rather use registers or block memory.

Br,

/Roger

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 22
(846 Views)

@Donovan_B wrote:

I did some looking and this has already been reported to R&D (# 291212). As crossrulz mentioned, unchecking the Adapt to Source property for the increment primitive (and optionally specifying an overriding output type) should work around the issue.

Thanks for checking into that.  I didn't know the increment function had that feature; however, the type mismatching isn't the problem I was referring to, nor do I use the increment function in my code.  It was just the simplest thing that caused the error I was talking about.  The image below is a better representation of my actual code.

Capture.PNG

As you can see, the wire type bug is completely independent of the "fixed size array" error I'm seeing.  In the last two cases I can eliminate the error by wiring a constant into the N terminal, but it's not clear to me why it is required only for those to situations.

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 22
(828 Views)

@User002 wrote:

I wouldn't be using arrays. They consume a lot of FPGA resources.

Rather use registers or block memory.

Probably wise council, but I'm still an FPGA newb and haven't graduated to registers or block memory.  Smiley Wink  As it turns out I'm doing very little in the FPGA code and it has no problem with the small array I am using.

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 22
(826 Views)

@Daklu wrote:

Probably wise council, but I'm still an FPGA newb and haven't graduated to registers or block memory.  Smiley Wink  As it turns out I'm doing very little in the FPGA code and it has no problem with the small array I am using.

I am not sure using block memory is "harder". It is basically a predefined array with a reference pointing to it.

With Block Memory:

loc_bd_memory_callout.gif

With an array based operation:

images.jpeg

Br,

/Roger

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 22
(809 Views)

I agree it's not harder, but it does require knowledge I haven't obtained yet if I want to use them intelligently.  For example, with the code I have the final device utilization report shows I've used 10 of 40 "Block RAMs."  How big is each Block RAM?  Is using block RAM instead of a 4 element array going to consume 1 of those blocks?

Also, below is a screenshot of my main FPGA loop.  I assume the array created from the Build Array function is implemented as flip flops directly in the logic.  Won't it increase the propogation delay if I'm shuffling the data off to a memory block somewhere instead of right where the data is created and used?

Capture.PNG

0 Kudos
Message 19 of 22
(798 Views)

@Daklu wrote:

I agree it's not harder, but it does require knowledge I haven't obtained yet if I want to use them intelligently.  For example, with the code I have the final device utilization report shows I've used 10 of 40 "Block RAMs."  1. How big is each Block RAM?  Is using block RAM instead of a 4 element array going to consume 1 of those blocks?

Also, below is a screenshot of my main FPGA loop.  I assume the array created from the Build Array function is implemented as flip flops directly in the logic.  2. Won't it increase the propogation delay if I'm shuffling the data off to a memory block somewhere instead of right where the data is created and used?

Capture.PNG

1. It depends on the FPGA HW/Config. As long as you are not running low on these blocks, don't worry. 

2. Block memory accesses can be inside single cycle nodes. That is, the operation takes 1 clock cycle to complete. I got those in my single-cycle I2C driver FPGA code.

There seem to be a coercion dot on the FIFO, you should consider splitting up the for loop (unrolling the loop) into 4 separate filter entries for better filter presicion (if you need it?). Array based filter access are limited to 16bit FXP presicion.

Br,

/Roger

Message 20 of 22
(794 Views)