From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Desktop PC RT Target communication with host through RS232

Solved!
Go to solution

As per your suggestion, I changed the I/O class from Serial Instr to USB-RAW and now the port is available in the dropdown list. I think the pallate which is specific to serial does not work with USB Raw. So configure port does not work with this class. If I right click on Visa Resource i.e RTCOM1 and try to edit the VISA resource, then the following error comes-

"The selected resource needs to be configured through MAX before it can be edited."

Now I think only problem is with settings of the two ports i. e COM1 and RTCOM1.

I am attaching the screen shots of the MAX settings, Front panels of both vis and block diagram of both vis.

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 15
(805 Views)

Looks to me like there's no driver in the RT operating system to support your USB to serial adapter. The RT operating system only has drivers for a very limited set of hardware. I do not think you'll be able to get this working with your hardware, unless you want to reimplement the USB-to-serial protocol yourself (which will not be easy even if you can get the specification for it). I don't know which serial adapters are supported under RT, but try to find one that is.

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 15
(778 Views)

I have done communication with RT system serial port ,I doubt NI-Serial is installed in your RT system or not,by default COM1 is your resource of serial port.

And add Visa open session in your RT vi with same parameters as in host

AB
Kudos are Accepted
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 15
(767 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author RashmiM

Installing NI-Serial will not solve the problem. The adapter is an FTDI device. See "Do LabVIEW Real-Time Controllers Support FTDI Devices?" The short answer is no, they don't.

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 15
(759 Views)

Nathand,

As you said, the USB to serial does not work on NI RT. I replaced the desktop PC which I was using as RT Target with the one which has built in RS232 port and installed the all software again. Now it is working fine. I am able to run a small program to test the read/write port. I may need some more help again when I am going to test the host, desktop and fpga target together.

Thank you very much for your support and others also for their help

Rashmi

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 15
(749 Views)