cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Designing a self test program in labview of an attached hardware

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

I'm a new user to labview. I am designing a tester to test a a particular equipment(power supply) using labVIEW 2009. I have successfully acquired and presented data on the Monitor screen  through Serial port.

I want to insert a self test routine in the LabVIEW that will always execute in the beginning before testing the equipment. This self test routine will check the credibility of hardware that is meant for checking the equipment.

The format of this self-test routine will be:

1)  A dialog box or a pop-up window will be open that will display messages.

2)  The format of messages displayed is shown in the attached file.

3)  Each line is displayed one by one with  "Tick" at the start when volatges are     OK    

4)  With "Cross" at the start when parameters are not OK.

Its just like an IC Tester. It starts its self test whenever u first switched on the Tester.

Can any one help me how to proceed.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 15
(4,185 Views)

Are you interested in learning LabVIEW so that you can do this Project yourself?  Learn LabVIEW (see below, taken from the "Unofficial Rules" of this Forum), start writing code, and when you get stuck, ask a specific question here (and include your code, meaning attach a VI, not a picture).  On the other hand, are you interested in having this LabVIEW code be developed for you?  There is a Forum here, LabVIEW Developers Seeking Employment, that might be appropriate.

Bob Schor

Looking For Free Training

Many times new users of NI hardware or software just don't know where to start.  They will ask a question but without knowing the terms, or the intended purpose, they will not be able to form a proper question.  Here are some free training tools primarily focused on LabVIEW and NI hardware to help get started.

NI Learning Center

NI Getting Started

-Hardware Basics

-MyRIO Project Essentials Guide (lots of good simple circuits with links to youtube demonstrations)

-LabVEW Basics

-DAQ Application Tutorials

-cRIO Developer's Guide

Learn NI Training Resource Videos

3 Hour LabVIEW Introduction

6 Hour LabVIEW Introduction
Self Paced training for students
Self Paced training beginner to advanced, SSP Required
LabVIEW Wiki on Training

The best way to learn, is to follow the tutorials, then ask lots of questions. 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 15
(4,175 Views)
Are you also new to hardware? What sort are you using and what sort of built in self test does it have? Your description is way too vague. Your initial work will not involve software and if you are designing a tester, you should be able to implement a plan to verify that it is working and that requires a deep understanding of the hardware itself.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 15
(4,165 Views)

Well its a simple hardware that generates Voltage and frequency. I have to check the voltage and frequency and then display a message. If the volatges and frequencies are Ok, that means the hardware is working fine.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 15
(4,156 Views)
Do you know the make and model of this simple hardware? I'd there a manual for it that you have read? If you are testing a power supply, you need some hardware that will take a measurement, not just a source like you described. Your system description is still way too vague.

Sit down and write a test plan for the system similar to the test plan you should have for the unit under test (the power supply). When that is done, let us know what sort of problems you have trying to implement it. It should not be anymore difficult than the test program for the power supply.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 15
(4,146 Views)

Well, I have successfully designed hardware and successfully implemented in LabVIEW  to acquire data through Serial.

What I am looking for is just to display  a message box or dialog box that will Acquire a String from microcontroller one by one and write a message on the screen with a symbol of Tick or Cross in front of that e.g

"Voltage is OK" with a "Tick Mark"   just after or before the text like the way I have shown in attached file (gui.jpg).

Hope I have conveyed my view point.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 15
(4,124 Views)

I have attached a power point presentation. I want my dialoguebox/ message  box to be like that.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 15
(4,114 Views)
So why can't you? I don't see where you have made an attempt to write any code. You can use a simple string indicator or a list box.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 15
(4,098 Views)

I think I have not been successful at this point in conveying my question.

Here is my code that test a particular electronic equipment.

I'll send u a multimedia file regarding what I want to achieve later on.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 15
(4,060 Views)

think I have not been successful at this point in conveying my question.

Here is my code that test a particular electronic equipment.

I'll send u a multimedia file regarding what I want to achieve later on.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 15
(4,059 Views)