From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Design choice for RT <–> C# communication: TCP/IP

Hi All.

My current setup is using a PCIe FPGA that communicates with a C# application using a custom C# wrapper. I’m using 2 R/W controls, each 32-bit integers to send various information such as commands back and forth between the FPGA and my C# application. In addition, I’m using 2 DMA channels to stream data from the FPGA. The data is 32-bit intergers.

We are now making some changes in the design, which means we will be using a RIO controller. This means the FPGA will communicate with the RTOS, and RTOS will then send the information using TCP/IP (local network) to the C# application.

Question:

I’m now looking for different options in which protocol to use for the TCP/IP communication. My hope is, that something nice and easy is already made. I would like to avoid sending strings, and the network streams are pretty nice, but since I’m communicating with a non-LabVIEW program, I cannot use Network Streams. I’m looking for a solution that can easily be ported to Linux if needed. Is normal TCP/IP communication my only choice?

Thanks.

Best Regards

Alex E. Munkhaus
Certified LabVIEW Developer (CLD)
System Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,185 Views)

Unless you use some of LabVIEW wrapper for a messaging library, you're probably best to develop some sort of string based protocol for sending/receiving the data. Something like JSON would keep it compatible with other languages, for example.

LabVIEW Champion, CLA, CLED, CTD
(blog)
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,161 Views)

Thanks for your reply.

The idea is, that we will not create a custom LabVIEW wrapper this time. So we want a TCP/IP solution that C# natively supports. I will look more into JSON.

Any other ideas, or more information on JSON?

Best Regards

Alex E. Munkhaus
Certified LabVIEW Developer (CLD)
System Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,149 Views)

Well TCP just boils down to sending bytes of data and it's up to you to decide how to package that data - binary or ASCII. For ASCII string based protocols...obviously you can do all sorts of things like Flatten To String, Typecast (to string) but these produce data that isn't easily understood/converted by other languages. 

If you're wanting to send complex/clusters of data - Flatten to XML would work but the LabVIEW XML format is very heavily bloated. Flatten to JSON (LV2013 onwards) is a fairly compact and easily human-readable format and is widely supported. You can just send basic strings as well.

You could also package your data into a binary protocol - but unless you need the efficiency it's probably best to stick with strings.

One thing you'll need to do is figure out how to determine the start/end of each message - one way to do this is to have a start & end identifier around each message or another common technique is to prepend the data length as an integer to the string you send.

LabVIEW Champion, CLA, CLED, CTD
(blog)
Message 4 of 4
(3,137 Views)