From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deployment problem and DOMUserDefRef.dll

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

I'm having a problem with deployment. I took over a project from a co-worker. When we use the same build description, in his executable build the DLL  DOMUserDefRef.dll is included, but not in my builds.

I detected this only when the end user (our customer) tried to run the program built by me, and it failed mysteriously. Of course, the built executables run just fine on my machine.

It is perhaps worth noticing that on his machine, the preview includes the DLL and on mine of course not. The DLL is in my dependencies, though. But if I look at the file view, there is already a difference: on my machine the DLL is shown without a path, on his it has the path to the <run-time>\resources directory. I've checked that the DLL is NOT in the %PATH% on my machine.

I can of course somehow add the DLL by hand to the build and distribute it, but I really want to understand what is happening here. Both computers used to build the executable are Windows 7 / 64 Bit with LabVIEW 2011 SP1f2 / 32 Bit, and I just cross-checked that the projects are identical by just copying it from his machine.

Can anyone sched some light on what may be happening here?

Thanks,

Joerg

---
Jörg Heßdörfer
Certified LabVIEW Architect, S.E.A. Datentechnik GmbH
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,615 Views)

No real light but try this workaround:

Grab ID10T.vi from here.  add it to your project. your build should work.

Does one of your machines have LabVIEW 2012 installed while working in the older version? (Resources became a symbolic path in LabVIEW 2012)

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,605 Views)

On a first look, I can reproduce this problem on two PCs having LV2012 installed. The PC on which it builds OK doesn't have 2012. So far, so good. But why should a LV2012 installation break builds in LV2011 ?

---
Jörg Heßdörfer
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,572 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author joergh

@joergh wrote:

On a first look, I can reproduce this problem on two PCs having LV2012 installed. The PC on which it builds OK doesn't have 2012. So far, so good. But why should a LV2012 installation break builds in LV2011 ?

There is only one App Builder.  If you are primarrilly working in a version that is not the latest installed on the machine its usually "Best Practice" to not install the later App Builder since you never know when those little details can rear up and bite you.

To downgrade the app builder, uninstall the app builder only and reinstall from the older media.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,567 Views)

Ahhh... I wasn't aware of that fact!

That certainly explains it. Problem is, I need to use both LV versions at this time 😞

BTW, ID10T.vi didn't help. Still no DOMUserDefRef.dll in the build. I guess I do have to either manually copy it or add a post-build VI.

---
Jörg Heßdörfer
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,555 Views)