Deployment of PPLs on RT Target

LV2013, LVRT 2013

Suppose I have a PPL named A.lvlibp, containing:

--- A1.vi

--- A2.vi

--- A3.vi

--- A4.vi

Suppose the host uses all four, but my RT program uses A1 and A2, not A3 or A4

Question 1: Does the entire A.lvlibp file get deployed over to the RT target, or just A1 and A2 ?

Question 2: WHERE on the target does the PPL, or the VIs get stored?  I cannot find them on disk.

Question 3: WHEN do they get deployed?  Only if they've changed, or every time i RUN from the DevSys, or what?

Question 4: If I'm running an RTEXE on the target, and an EXE on the host PC (outside the DevSys environment - no project), and I attach a new addon (itself a PPL)  that needs a new PPL (B.lvlibp), where do I store the PPL, where the new addon code can find it?

Steve Bird
Culverson Software - Elegant software that is a pleasure to use.
Culverson.com

Blog for (mostly LabVIEW) programmers: Tips And Tricks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,758 Views)

Any ideas?

Steve Bird
Culverson.com

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,684 Views)

Are you running your program from the development computer or an exe? If you are running a single VI from a project on the host computer, those VIs are deployed the first time when you run them and then when you make changes afterwards. Only the VI and it's dependencies are deployed.

If you are running an exe, it gets deployed to the target when you chose to do so and has every VI that you included in it. 

I'm still looking into where on the target they are stored. I let you know what I find out. 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,650 Views)

First, i never tried this on RT Target but am working a lot with PPLs ;this is my guess :

Question1 : You can choose in build specification (Additionnal exclusions) whether you prefer to include or exclude unused members of a PPLs.

Question 2 : I don't know where PPLs are stored on RT target. sorry

Question 3 : They are deployed each time you build your RT Target if you have specified your PPLs were "Always included".

Question 4 : Your new add-on will be able to comunicate with your Host App. You should modify your Host App to get all new informations this new PPLs generate and to build in your RT Target with new PPLs included.

Your RT Target will  need a softaware update as well.

Hope this helps !

BR,

Vincent

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,640 Views)

Are you running your program from the development computer or an exe?

At the moment, a DevSys.  It works fine.

But in production, it will be a host EXE, and a PXI RTEXE.

The user can create an "addon" (lvlibp).

I have a mechanism where the main program finds these addons, loads them and executes them.

It works fine in the DevSys.  It works fine on the Host side in an EXE.

On the PXI side, I put the main PPL in a certain folder (via file transfer between the two programs) and signal the main RT program it's there.

But I need to figure out what 'magic' the Project is doing for me, so that if this new PPL needs some OTHER PPL that isn't there, I can move it over also.

Steve Bird
Culverson.com

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,632 Views)

Question1 : You can choose in build specification (Additionnal exclusions) whether you prefer to include or exclude unused members of a PPLs.

--- I don't think that applies. That refers to "project libraries' (LVLIB) and whether to include a LVLIB item when building the PPL.  I'm wondering about when a PPL is loaded, does the whole thing have to be loaded, or does it only load (into memory) the pieces that are needed at the moment?

Question 2 : I don't know where PPLs are stored on RT target. sorry

--- I can't find the lvlibp files on disk, except for the ones I specifically put there.  The sub-ppls don't show up.

Question 3 : They are deployed each time you build your RT Target if you have specified your PPLs were "Always included".

--- I haven't built the RTEXE yet.  But each time I RUN the main (from the DevSys), they have to be sent over, because it works.  But I have 800 VIs go thru hte "deploying" box, and I haven't seen them go by.  

But then, I can't find any of the main program's VIs ON DISK, either.  Maybe it just deploys them to RAM on the PXI side.

That's got to be it. I've worked with RTEXEs before, and I've never seen any VI files stored on the PXI, except for those that I deliberately placed there.

It deploys them to RAM on the PXI.

That still leaves the question of where on disk I should place the PPLs needed by the PPL that I ship over?  And how does the program know that the addon "X" needs a new PPL "Y" ?

Question 4 : Your new add-on will be able to comunicate with your Host App. You should modify your Host App to get all new informations this new PPLs generate and to build in your RT Target with new PPLs included.

--- Scenario:

The RTEXE is running on the PXI, and the EXE is running on the host.

The user develops (on some other machine), an addon called "A".

It gets built into A-HOST.lvlibp and A-PXI.lvlibp

He places both PPLs into a certain folder on the host computer.

He selects (via menus in the host program) to "attach" this addon "A"

My program knows to load A-HOST on the host side, and it knows to send A-PXI over to the PXI side, where I store it in a certain place.

The host then signals the PXI to load it, and the PXI side can find it and load it.

That's fine.

Now, suppose that BOTH A-HOST and A-PXI use a DIFFERENT PPL called "B".

If B is in the SUPPORT folder on the host, it's found when I load "A", and it's good.

BUT:

How do I ( the host program) know that A uses B?

If I figure out that A uses B, then I have to ship B over to the PXI.

Where do I store it?  Does it have to be next to A?  is there some "support" folder on the PXI to find such things?

Looks like I will have to experiment...

Steve Bird
Culverson.com

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,627 Views)