From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deploy simple Labview applications without installing the Labview runtime?

[Labview 8.21 - Windows XP]

Hello and a happy new year to all !

I have coded very simple Labview applications that basically read text files (exported from Ms Excel), make some string operations, array sorting and at the end write another text file that is then imported in Ms Access. Now I would like other people from the School parents association to use this application on their own PC but ideally without having to install the Labview run-time;  for various reasons one of them being that they are not administrator of their PC, another reason being that I feel bad to ask them to install 100Mb of programs on their PC to execute my <1Mb applications. All that I can assume is that they have Excel and Access installed on their PC.

I have read some postings on the Forum and in the Knowledge base from which I understand that the only way to use my application without the Labview runtime is to build a shared library that maybe I could then link via a VBA code from inside Excel or Access. But I cannot find any usable example on how to do that practically. And maybe it is not possible. 

What is the easiest way to run such very simple Labview compiled applications on a PC that does not have Labview installed? Is Labview not at all built for such use?

Thanks a lot for your help and ideas.

Christophe

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,307 Views)

You will need to have the runtime installed. There is a lot of other languages that also have the need for there own runtime, but they are commonly installed with the OS, so you don't realize it. Just building a dll won't solve this.

There might be a hack possible, though. People have managed to strip down the required installation and been able to deploy the required parts of the runtime only. If you want to go this way, search on LAVA. But I'm not sure if it works with LV 8.20, and you will need to invest some time to figure out the minimum requirements. But be aware that it is a hack, so it's on your own risk.

Felix

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,300 Views)