From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deploy RT and FPGA from Windows Host using normal file transfer?

@crossrulz wrote:

dan_u wrote:  Be careful though, you can't overwrite a running RTexe.

Actually, you can when the RTexe is completely in memory.  There is an update tool that uses a USB to look for updates and copies over the RTExe when there is one.

So that must have changed. We implemented this part of the code back in LV7.1 or 8.5. At that time it would not allow you to replace the existing .rtexe if it was running. Looks like it had the file open in r/w access mode. Good to know this can be done now.

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 12
(816 Views)

Thank you for all your replies.

Here is what I have done so far:
HOST: Writes a configuration file on the RT target, with a Testmode = True / False key.
RT: Has 1 main application, that reads the key. Based on this key, it calls either VI1 or VI2, which has two different FPGA bitfiles.

This seems to be working, so I think I will be using this method.

I have a couple of questions:
1) When I develop the RIO code, I use indicators on the FP, to give me some kind of debug information. When I deploy my code to the target as an RTexe file, I believe these indicators is getting stripped away, and thus the RT exe has no FP at all. Is this correct, I have not been able to find documentation that confirm this?
2) This means, that with the new setup, where the main application reads a config file, and then calls a subVI, that this subVI was previously my mainVI with all the indicators (I hope this make sense, hard to explain 🙂 ). Thus, I want to change the subVI settings, so that the FP is shown when called. This is working fine when developing and running the RT code from LabVIEW developer mode. But how does this behave when I build the RTexe??

Structure.png

Best Regards

Alex E. Munkhaus
Certified LabVIEW Developer (CLD)
System Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 12
(796 Views)