From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Denver Instrument TP-12 Balance with VISA in LV 2013

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello!

I am having some issues with a Denver Instrument TP-12 analytical balance.

I have set up the balance and made sure that all the VISA settings match in LabVIEW.

I do manage to read accurate weight from the balance, and the read buffer works correctly, but every 30 seconds or so the read buffer gets filled with gibberish (random non-numeric characters) and so the numeric data (after converting from String to Numeric) is read as 0.

I contacted Denver Instrument (now Sartorius) and was told that the problem probably lies in LV.

Attached is the VI that I am using as well as screenshots of the read buffer when it reads the gibberish.

Any advice as to why I am having these weird reading and what I can do to either prevent them or a method to have the numeric data ignore the spikes in the reading would be GREAT!

Thanks-in-advance,

4Strings

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,756 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author 4Strings

Hi,

In order to know if LabVIEW is the culprit of this behavior, it might be very helpful to use this architecture :

other architecture.png

and tell us if you see the same behavior.

Regards,

Message 2 of 6
(2,734 Views)

It worked! 

Thank you SO much!

-4Strings

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,716 Views)

Thanks for your feedback !

Producer/Consumer is one of the most powerful architecture for data processing/logging :

- One loop (one process) to acquire datas

- One loop for processing/logging

By using this architecture, you are sure to remove 99,9 % of acquisitions issues.

Cheers,

Message 4 of 6
(2,679 Views)
Thanks!
How would I log more data streams from other sensors (from temperature probes, condutivity probes, etc.)?
Do I just add separate ques for each of them in the producer loop, or can I add them to the first que?

Thanks again,
4Strings
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,669 Views)

Hi 4Strings,

Mathieu_T had a great advice when he recommended the producer/consumer loop. If you want to pass multiple datatypes with the queue structure, I would recommend grouping the data into a cluster or an array, since a queue can only handle one data type (e.g. a cluster containing a string and a double). 

There's a bit more information on the producer/consumer loop here: http://www.ni.com/white-paper/3023/en/

Rick C.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,642 Views)