LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Defer decision

Solved!
Go to solution

Using labView 2009 sometimes I do not get a choice to close without saving, either save or defer. There is no revert on the file menu either.

Thanks,

jvh 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,083 Views)

Please provide more details.

If the file hasn't changed, then you don't get asked to do anything.  You'll know if a file has been modified if you see an asterisk next to it in the window title.  No asterisk, no changes, nothing to ask about.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,075 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author jvh75021

Why should there be an option "revert"?

To understand my question, i have to explain what you are encountering:

1. You loaded some sources from files into memory. This is done by loading the lvproj-file or a VI containing subvis.

2. Changes have been done to the sources in memory. These can be made by manual interaction or because the compiled code of one of the sources had to be recompiled.

3. The top level instance (VI or lvproj) keeps the sources in memory. You open on of the subsources (subvi, VI in a lvproj). The change done to the source is marked by a '*' in the title bar.

4. Closing the visual representation of the source (VI window) does not unload the sources. Therefore you can either chose to save the changes or to defer the decision until you unload the source from memory.

5. When closing the top level source, this is the latest point to decide wether you want to save the changes in the code to file or not. You will be prompted with something like this: "<List of changed modules> have been changed. Do you want to save the changes?" You can chose to save all modules, to select per module or to discard all changes made.

You can have some kidn of "revert" by simply reloading the module from file. When doing so, you will be prompted with something like this: "The module you are loading is different from the one in memory. Do you want to keep the current version or do you want to discard that and proceed loading?"

hope this helps,

Norbert

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
Message 3 of 6
(3,074 Views)

Norbert B wrote:

Why should there be an option "revert"?

Don't know that there should be. But when searching the subject before posting like a good Boy Scout there was a suggestion to use the  revert option  under File to get around the defer annoyance.

jvh 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,066 Views)

Posted too kwikly...

Thanks for the detailed answer, Norbert. 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,061 Views)

I think the following solves it.

http://forums.ni.com/t5/ideas/v2/ideapage/blog-id/labviewideas/article-id/1884/page/3#comments

As NI recommends here, if you haven't already, you might consider turning ON Tools >> Options >> Environment >> Do not save automatic changes (as well as Treat read-only VIs as locked).

Message 6 of 6
(2,717 Views)