From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Decorations automatically grouping with controls

I have a problem where, when creating a new type def decorations are behaving as if grouped with a control.

The control has a number of buttons and also has flat box decorations to provide visual grouping. After adding a few decorations it became apparant that they were all behaving as if grouped with one of the buttons. i.e. if I select that button, all the decorations are selected as well. However, if I select the decoration, the button does not get selected, only the decoration.

If I delete the control, the 'grouped' decoration gets deleted, however I can delete the decoration without the control being deleted.

The controls/decorations are not shown as being grouped (looking at the 'Reorder' dropdown). Grouping then ungrouping doesn't resolve the problem.

If I delete the control (and consequently the decoration) then add another decoration, it will automatically 'group' with another control in the type def.

I'm in the position where if I add decorations they all 'group' with a single control which means if I delete of move the control, all of the decorations are affected as well.

If I put all of the controls and decorations into a cluster the problem stops.

It has the feel of something to do with the tabbing order, but I can't see a way of checking/changing this unless controls are already in a cluster. 

The attached .ctl shows the described behaviour.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,149 Views)

I have a problem where, when creating a new type def, decorations are behaving as if grouped with a control.

The control has a number of buttons and also has flat box decorations to provide visual grouping. After adding a few decorations it became apparant that they were all behaving as if grouped with one of the buttons. i.e. if I select that button, all the decorations are selected as well. However, if I select the decoration, the button does not get selected, only the decoration.

If I delete the control, the 'grouped' decoration gets deleted, however I can delete the decoration without the control being deleted.

The controls/decorations are not shown as being grouped (looking at the 'Reorder' dropdown). Grouping then ungrouping doesn't resolve the problem.

If I delete the control (and consequently the decoration) then add another decoration, it will automatically 'group' with another control in the type def.

I'm in the position where if I add decorations they all 'group' with a single control which means if I delete of move the control, all of the decorations are affected as well.

If I put all of the controls and decorations into a cluster the problem stops.

It has the feel of something to do with the tabbing order, but I can't see a way of checking/changing this unless controls are already in a cluster. 

The attached .ctl shows the described behaviour.

Thanks

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,160 Views)

Does this happen if you start over with a new control?  Or is it only with this one specific control?

I'm wondering if your control file is corrupted.  I opened it and saw what you were talking about.  Then when I hit the Restore button (because your windows filled my screen), the window just disappears.  It exists somewhere.  I still see it on the taskbar.  But it otherwise disappears.

It is odd that you have a cluster of two controls, and another two buttons on there.  That just won't work.  Get rid of those extra buttons.

(EDIT:  Okay.  I found it.  It was way off the right side of the screen.  I had to use old windows keyboard presses to activate the menu and move it.  Luckily I guessed right on the direction.)

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,111 Views)

It happened again when I repeated with a new control. The new control is what I added to the post as it was a simplified version of the original.

Odd that the control filed the screen, it was saved with a small panel size.

In any case, I'm wondering if it's a quirk experienced because come of the controls/decorations didn't have a home. At the time they were floating in space rather than in a cluster or on a tab (which is where they would have ended up).

Perhaps the decorations need something to associate with and, in lieu of a 'parent' front panel, they associate with any available controls. It's only speculation but woudld explain the behaviour.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,102 Views)

Are you trying to create a control that is actually multiple controls?  That's what you had going on in your first CTL file.  You can't do that.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,099 Views)