From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Decode a serial protocol

Hello Robst

Thank you for your reply!

I'm going to try converter MOXA tcc-80 with automatic baudrate detection and so on.

But i believe that not enough just establish the connection, need to know the commands which the sensor respond.

By the way,

Oberon is OS https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oberon_(operating_system)

Looks like the manufacturer of sensors is K-tron http://www.ktron.com/process-equipment/feeders/technology/feeder-weighing-technology.cfm

Any way i'll let you know if there will be some progress.

Best regards

0 Kudos
Message 21 of 35
(1,280 Views)

Hello MarisolM,

Thank you for your advice!

Best regards

0 Kudos
Message 22 of 35
(1,277 Views)

Hello,

I have exactly the same problem and I need to decode the serial protocol (RS422).Did you find any solution?

@Robst wrote:

Hello:

We have an application in which we have to monitor in LabVIEW some load cells that transmit the weight readings via a RS-422 protocol. There's no information available about the protocol, this is propietary information of the manufacturer of the load cells, and the intention of the project is to replace the current control system. We don't know the baud rate or any other details, we just know it's RS-422, and that is somewhat related with something called "Oberon".

We have a sniffer connected to the RS-422 bus and have been able to collect some information. Now we're analyzing this data. Right now, we have been unable to find a logic sequence in this data. We also tried to find the weight values shown in the current system in the data, coded in some way, with no result.

I wonder if someone has ever been involved in a similar project, that can offer me some guidance on how to attack this problem.

Any idea is welcome.

Best Regards.

Robst.

0 Kudos
Message 23 of 35
(1,108 Views)

Hello,

I have the same problem and I used Device Monitoring Studio and collect some data but I don't have any idea how to decode it,even I'm not sure that I collect the right data.

Thank you in advance

0 Kudos
Message 24 of 35
(1,104 Views)

Hi!

Sensor sends data constantly? Or in response on commands only?

Cheers, Yuriy

0 Kudos
Message 25 of 35
(1,091 Views)

Hi Yuri,

Actually I know that these data are current,voltage and the temprature of each  battery cell that is transfered via this serial protocol from each module to the controller.we also have the serial protocol of BMS(battery managemant system) and the control panel but we don't have any information about the communication between modules and the BMS;except that I know this serial port is RS422.If I would be able to decode it I can use these data in my algorithm for determining the SOC(state of Battery).

Thanks

Elham

0 Kudos
Message 26 of 35
(1,077 Views)

I suggest that you start with and O-scope and look a the timing of the waveforms.  You should be able to determine BAUD rate, # start bits, # stop bits and parity.

0 Kudos
Message 27 of 35
(1,066 Views)

The problem is that as soon as I connect the serial connections .the cells stop sending data,and when I disconnect Rx+ and Rx- it will again start sensing data.I collect these data  using two different software,Device monitoring studio and serial port monitor.but I don't think they are the right one.

Thanks for your reply

0 Kudos
Message 28 of 35
(1,060 Views)

Hi Elham,

i was thinking this topic is about decoding of digital Colotronic LOAD CELL protocol, but as i see you try to decode some battery cell serial protocol.

Yuriy

0 Kudos
Message 29 of 35
(1,049 Views)

Hi Yuri,

You are right sorry I just search how to decode RS422 ,so shall I introduce a new topic?

Elham

0 Kudos
Message 30 of 35
(1,038 Views)