From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Decimate and build 1d array into 2D array

Hi,

I am getting AI Data from a FPGA over a DMA FIFO in an interleaved format. So the order of elements would be AI0, AI1, .. , AIn, AI0, AI1, and so on. For my application I need that data to be in the usual daqmx format (channels in rows, multiple samples in columns). So I basically want to replace a daqmx read  with my DMA FIFO read (following the replacement of a PXIe card with 2x NI 9223 modules in a MXI Chassis).

I came up with this solution using decimate array and then building these arrays into a 2D array. However there are a lot of buffer allocations and it is not scalable.

The example generates some data for 8 channels and puts 7200 of those in an 1D array (8x AI, 3600 triggers per rev, 2 revs per combustion cycle = 8x 7200 Samples to read).

Array_Decimate_Build.PNG

As no new data is generated I think it should be possible to convert the array without allocating a new buffer, right?

On top, a scalable approach to programmatically set the number of rows (channels) would be really nice.

Lukas

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 14
(4,695 Views)

Hello Lukas,

look at "reshape array". This is what you search for.

reshape array.png

Greets, Dave
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 14
(4,682 Views)

Hi Lukas,

use ReshapeArray to get scalability and speed improvements:

check.png

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 14
(4,676 Views)

Hi Dave and Gerd,

thanks for the fast response.

Reshape does something different though, compare the resulting arrays (decimate and build on top, reshape as in Gerds example on the bottom):

decimate_build_array.PNG

reshape_array.PNG

If I change the inputs for the reshape function and then transpose the resulting array I get the right result but the operation takes around 5x longer to complete than decimate and build. The reshape without transpose is faster though.

I attached a new version of the example with all three approaches in a disable structure.

Looking at memory usage there is a buffer allocation for both the reshape and the transpose VI. I think this is because of the changing dimensions of the array although the amount of elements stays the same. Is there a better way to do this?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 14
(4,654 Views)

Hello Lukas,

the best is, to avoid constantly new allocated memory. My best solution is, to use "initialize array" and replace the elements. The performance results are shown in the screenshot below.

array decimate Performance results.png

As you can see, the approach with replacing the elements in two nested for-loops is three times slower than the one-loop-approach. There you can use the autoindexing feature and the fast quotient&remainder- operation fits very well our needs.

For some reason I'm not able to upload a VI, so here's the BD

Array_Decimate_Build - Rehape.png

Greets, Dave
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 14
(4,642 Views)

daveTW, strange benchmark results...

For me transpose and reshape is much faster. First run (memory allocation) is the same, then reshape&transpose 3-10 times faster. 

LV2011, both front panels closed during test, array size was reset before test (to ensure the same starting conditions.

menchmark code.png

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 14
(4,608 Views)

Thats interesting, I have to look at that on monday!

I got around 200uS for the decimate and build into 2D version, rehsape and transpose was always over 1000 uS.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 14
(4,589 Views)

That's not a very good benchmark, because the reuslts seem wildly variable. I also probably would not run the two subVIs in parallel.

You can get orders of magnitude faster by disabling debugging and inlining of the subVIs . I've seen cases where reshape was 5x faster or the opposite with no real change in code. This probably needs to be investigated with more precise benchmarking code.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 14
(4,571 Views)

OK, the main flaw is in your loop code, spoonfeeding one element at a time and doing a Q&R so many times.

You get much faster replacing one column at a time.

With a more precise benchmark, I get the following on my laptop:

Your loop: 7ms

Reshape/transpose 3.0ms

My loop: 3.5ms                   (Edit: the original posting had a bug, reposted with correct code)

Of course this is LabVIEW 2015. No telling if it is different in your LabVIEW 2011.

(This is just a quick draft to give you some ideas. Please verify correct operation! :D)

Download All
Message 9 of 14
(4,557 Views)

Your loop looks like a really good appraoch, there should be just one memory allocation for the initialize array function, right (besides the input data of course)?

I will look into that on monday and test it on my system. I'm also curious how your benchmark works. The execution times in the chart look a lot more stable than what I measured in my first test.

Regards,

Lukas

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 14
(4,543 Views)