LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Debugging help - Project with multiple VIs freezes

I have a project with maybe 50 VIs. Every now and again the main app will freeze (meaning that something somewhere has ran away or something).

My question is... How can I find out which VI is sucking up all of the processor? My guess is that there is a for loop free running somewhere but I don't know where.

LabVIEW 2015.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,988 Views)

Hi WaneS1324,

I would recommend checking out this tool for evaluating VI performance. With that many subVI's, this problem may be difficult to track down, but the profile performance and memory window is a great place to start. You also may want to use highlight execution to find any loops that are running excessively, although this becomes tedious and time-consuming very quickly as your program grows larger. Let me know if these tools are able to help you diagnose your issue!

Best,

Duncan Waldrop

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,952 Views)

If the main app is a state machine, you can put some simple debugging stuff right before the case structure that logs the states as they occur.  At least you could follow the bread crumbs and figure out which state is hanging.  Maybe have one before that says "Entering xyz state" and one after that says "Exiting xyz state".

This should probably be a regular feature anyway.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,947 Views)

Thanks for the replies.

The main app is a state machine. I did what you suggested in a previous project. I don't know why it escaped me this time.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,930 Views)

If it can knock it down from 50 possibilities to maybe 5-10, I'd say that's a win.  🙂

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,918 Views)