From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Database creation and extraction

Dear Sir,

I am very new to Database Connectivity Toolkit and my doubts are as follows:

Work have been done: I have developed a four emitter configuration application and each emitter having the same controls. For that I created four different clusters (Emitter-1, 2, 3 & 4) separately and I placed one over another based on emitter selection the particular emitter will be enabled and remaining three emitters are disabled. And one more thing whatever parameters entered by the user those parameter values should display corresponding to emitter selection. I implemented all these things because it is four emitter configurations only.

Work to be done: But today my requirement is 16 emitters and it will go up to 64 emitter configuration in future. In this case very difficult to create those many clusters and I have to validate each control value in each cluster. So that I am going to introduce Database to implement all the configurations in one cluster or screen. If I implement database, based on emitter selection corresponding values can be extracted and displayed on the screen after that user can modify the values and save the latest values.

This is what I am going to implement please help me in database creation and extraction.

Here I am attaching the sample screen.

Thanks & Regards,

S Nagaraju

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,841 Views)

It wasn't clear if you had done this, but if you make each emitter cluster a 'type definition' - each copy of the cluster will have exactly the same controls.

Rather than have a cluster containing 16 of the same element, why not create an array of emitters? This way you can index (select) an item from the array.

Do you specifically need a database? Databases are good for storing large amounts of data (e.g. 1000s of emitters), or where you need to perform calculations / searches on the data. Using something like the MGI/OpenG variant configuration file functions, you can write the array of emitter configuration to an INI file with just a handful of VIs.

LabVIEW Champion, CLA, CLED, CTD
(blog)
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,817 Views)

Dear Sir,

Can you please explain how to store the different configurations into an array.

Please give me some example on this.

Regards,

S Nagaraju 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,807 Views)

I suggest you take some LabVIEW tutorials and/or read about arrays. You said that each emitter is the same so it will have the same configuration parameters. You can therefore have an array of configuration parameters (one element in the array for each emitter) instead of duplicating the same cluster multiple times.

There is a tutorial about arrays and clusters here: http://www.ni.com/white-paper/7571/en/

Here is an example:

2015-11-16_15-52-07.png

(blog)
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,774 Views)

Dear Sir,

Whatever you are suggested is understood. But here I am using State Machine and data for 16 emitters is not pre-defined. Based on input data I have to maintain the log files and display the log files as a library with corresponding emitter number, date & time. Kindly let me know how to create and display the log files for different emitters. In future user will not enter all the parameters he will select one of the emitter from the log files library and he will modify whatever parameter he want.

Please help me.

Regards,

S Nagaraju

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,752 Views)

@Sam_Sharp wrote:

Using something like the MGI/OpenG variant configuration file functions, you can write the array of emitter configuration to an INI file with just a handful of VIs.

(blog)
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,726 Views)