LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DataSocket and Data Binding

In version 7.1 of LabVIEW, I created VI's which published data to be used by VI's running on other computers. I created a control with "Strict Type Def" to define the data structure for my published data that the other VI's could put on their front panels. The default mode for the data socket, in the control file, was set to Read. The publishing VI's mode was changed to Write since it was the only VI which should publish the data. In version 7.1, I could modify the DataSocket on the front panel even when the control is an external "Strict Type Def" file and change the Read to Write. In version 8.0, I right click on the control on the front panel, select properties, but do not see the "Data Binding" tab. When I open the Type Def., I can right click on the control on the front panel, select properties, and see the "Data Binding" tab. The mode is set to Read. Since other VI's use this control, I do not want to change it to Write or Read/Write.

Is there a way in which I can leave the control as is, with the mode a Read, and change the mode within the publishing VI to Write? Or, do I have to disconnect the Type Def in the publishing VI in order to change the mode?

Thank you for your help.

Bill
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,245 Views)

Interesting question and very-well explained.

I don't see any other workaround but to disconnect from the type def.

Regards,
Ankita
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,219 Views)

I have a similar problem. I'd like to use many copies of a strict type defined control, but each bound to a different network variable. LV8 does not show the "data binding" tab, it does only in the .ctl file, but it binds all controls to the same variable...

I have to disconnect form type definition and this is very disappointing... i lose the benefits of type definition!

But if you Wild Bill want to change only the read/write mode, maybe you can use property nodes. On the block diagram, Binding Mode property can be set individually for each control. Binding Path can't.

(this suggestion comes a little late, i see 😛 )

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,090 Views)