From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data storage, add name to single value of a channel

Good day to all.

In my application i use data storage VI's to enable data collecting abilities. I have multiple test wich i have to run on a board, every single test give an integer value as output. I use a TDM file where i put all the value, coming from different board, in a single channel. Channel are already divided in group wich represent the type of the board were i run the test (part number). All the board have a serial number. Later, when i need to review the collected data, i need to know the value given by a single board, identify by it's serial number. So i need to add an identificator, maybe the serial number, to the value i store in the TDM file. How can i do this?

Thank you, Francesco.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,544 Views)

Use another channel for serial number.  As long as it is an actual number, there shouldn't be any issues.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,531 Views)

And so i can recover the value by its position on the vector, right? And if i have a serial number that is a text string?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,509 Views)

A string can't be channel data.  So what you might have to do is make the serial number a metadata name and the value of that metadata the index of that serial number.

To be honest, I don't think TDMS is the right format for your data.  TDMS is great for waveforms.  But single data points, not so much.  What you really need is a database.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,485 Views)