LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data rate problem with Visa serial

I am doing master thesis in which I have to take the live data from pressure sensors which is placed on steam engine i am using visa serial to collect the data but problem is that I have to collect around 320KB/sec and then perform FFT on receive data  so how it is possible to do with visa serial.I attached my program here.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(2,614 Views)

Well you are not going to get anywhere near there at 19200 baud over a serial line.  Do the math yourself- It just won't achieve 300+KB/s  about 1.9KB/S is really all you'll get with 8 data bits a start bit and a stop bit

Serial data at 230400 Baud won't get you there either and, I wouldn't want to run those wires past a steam engine without some forward error correction.  Noise immunity at that speed is almost nothing.- and thats still too slow for your proposed data rate.

You are off by several orders of magnitude here and need to research alternate solutions.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(2,600 Views)

can I do this thing take the data stores in serial buffer and then processed the data

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(2,586 Views)

@hasssan245 wrote:

can I do this thing take the data stores in serial buffer and then processed the data

That would depend entirely on how much memory is internal to your sensor  What is that thing anyway that can convert pressure at 320Ks/s?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(2,584 Views)

i have three sensors every millisecond it can generate around 32char/msec , then we have ADC and then it is coming to the serial port, what happen if we take the data from LAN not from serial then LABView can do it.??

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(2,581 Views)
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(2,565 Views)

sorry for this I am new in this forum thats why i dont know this, can you tell me if I want to take the data through LAN how much speed is possible on labview side

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(2,523 Views)
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(2,517 Views)

Again, LabVIEW is not the source of the bottleneck.  Its the hardware, or PHY layer, that limits the data transmission rate.  so, the question you really need to ask is how fast you can reliably move data on your LAN?  Now, bare in mind that any data transfer protocol adds additional overhead beyond just the data that needs to move.

Here is a link toa simple primer on OSI Model your data rate will depend on what options you use and those options are going to depend on your hardware and enviornment

In short, you are asking the wrong people.  In this forum we deal with helping people resolve issues with programing in LabVIEW.  Your problem has nothing whatsoever to do with LabVIEW.   You have a Layer 8 problem

Edit: I can't really resist the RFC 2321 link although it is likely to be useless in a academic setting

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(2,515 Views)
I also question your stated transfer rates. How did you calculate 320 ks/s? You said the sensor transmits at 32s/ms. That does not scale to 320ks/s.

You have decided not to post any details on the actual hardware being used. Why not?
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(2,498 Views)