LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data acquisition from SPCM-AQRH-15 and Nano-ViewTM 200-2/M

Solved!
Go to solution
I am trying to acquire data from APDs (PerkinElmer, SPCM-AQRH-15) and Nanopositioner (Mad City, Nano-ViewTM 200-2/M). The second equipment has USB 162 or 202 digital interface integrated but I am not sure abut the first one since I am still waiting my order. anyway, I want to control/communicate with both of them using your product, does anyone know what software and hardware I need? thanks.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(4,894 Views)

Hello Confuciusl,

I have been looking into the problem statement that you gave us above and have some questions for you as well as some answers. I am going to go with the basic understanding that we will be using LabVIEW to not only communicate with your devices, but also for data acquisition and analysis.

In reference to your APDs (PerkinElmer, SPCM-AQRH-15), I have looked at the data sheet for the product located here, and have determined that the best method of communication with your device would be to use some type of Counter/Oscilloscope card in a PCI/PXI standard. This will allow for proper recording of your signal from your Output Terminal. For more information on cards please refer to this link.

As for the second instrument listed, the Nano-ViewTM 200 from MadCity, it mentions here that The Nano- View/M™ system includes the Nano-Drive™ controller and is compatible with user written LabVIEW software. Since we do not have the capability to obtain the product you are specifically trying to communicate, the best option at the moment would be to try and contact MadCity and see if they have any specific Instrument Drivers pre-built for LabVIEW that will allow you to communicate with your device. If they do not, the next option would be to develop your own by following the guidelines at the following link.

Thanks again and have a great day!

Regards,

Nicholas K
National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(4,850 Views)
I saw someone uses PCI-6602 from NI to control the APDs (PerkinElmer, SPCM-AQRH-15) as I mentioned earlier. what's the advantages and disadvantages of this card in comparison with Counter/Oscilloscope card you suggested? thanks for your help.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(4,839 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author confuciusl

Hello Confuciusl

The APD that you are using outputs a TTL signal that sends a high pulse whenever it detects a photon, so I am assuming that you are just going to count pulses or preform some other couter operation ( frequency measurement, two edge separation, ...etc ).  In this case the 6602 would be the best for the application, as it is a counter timer board that is designed for this exact application.  The scope/digitizer would allow you to see the digital signal in a graphical sense, but I don't think it would offer much more functionality for your application other than increased sampling rate.

Chris K 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(4,821 Views)
Chris, do you provide free VIs for PC 6602 card to count frequency of photons that hit the APDs as I mentioned? Do you have a phone number so that I can reach you in case I have more questions one the card. I will order the card and software tomorrow. thanks.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(4,817 Views)

We do not have VI specifically designed specifically for the APDs that you are referring to, however we do have generic counter example programs that preform several counter application including frequency calculations.  These example programs are installed with the DAQmx driver that is available with the driver CD that you installed with LabVIEW or from on our website.

You can call (888) 280-7645 to speak with one our sales reps for better product selection information.

Chris_K 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(4,800 Views)

Hi Confuciusl,

The Nano-View 200-2/M system with the USB interface includes the necessary Windows drivers and some LabView example VI's, as well as the full DLL documentation of the function calls and necessary arguments.  If you are having trouble commanding and reading the nanopositioner, please contact any of the technical sales people at Mad City Labs.

If you are trying to additionally sync the data acquisition with the APDs and other hardware in your setup, and if you have the ISS option from MCL, there is additional function calls that can be utilized.  Please refer to the Madlib documentation for all the function calls that can be used in LabView.

If you have any additional questions, please contact me or anyone else here at MCL. 

Shannon G

Technical Sales

Mad City Labs

Message Edited by sgbani on 08-15-2008 04:55 PM
Shannon G
Technical Sales
Mad City Labs
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(4,742 Views)

how to make the APD connection to PCI-6602 through a BNC-2121? I just don'know how to use the BNC-21... should Ijust use the one of the six user-defined BNC connectors or one of the eight dedicated BNC conector? 

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(4,584 Views)

Hi confuciusl,

I assume you are trying to count the number of pulses generated. Because of this, you will need to input the TTL signal to the source input of the counter you are trying to use. Since there are 8 counters on the NI-6602 and you have to decide which counter you want to use. If you want to use the 8 defined BNC connectors, they correspond to counters 0 and 1. You can also access all of the counters through the screw terminals. More information about connecting these signals can be found in the BNC-2121 Connector Accessory for 660X Devices User Guide.

Regards,

Kent

Applications Engineer

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(4,543 Views)

Hi,

I work on the same type of experiment because I use also SPCM.

I use the same config (a BNC-2121 acquisition board and a PCI board PCI-6602).

In fact, I use 4 SPCM and I use 4 counters and homemade VIs on Labview 7.1.

The SPCMs have a Gate input and I want to produce a high level on, for example the P0.0 digital output, to drive this input.

I don't know how to produce it without the classical MAX application.

Can you help me please?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(4,214 Views)