From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Logger from CRIO to Pc

Hi..i'm working with a National Instruments cRIO - 9012, cRIO-9111 chassis and NI-9201 module. The purpose is to acquire electrical signals from a power electronic setup, then process the acquired data in my laptop.

I've already tried to store the data through usb but the memory of the RT is too small, so i start trying to used network streaming to pass the data directly to my laptop.

I almost get it, thanks to an example code, but now the code running in my laptop show just one or two samples of the signals acquired by the RT.

I wonder if someone can give me a help or if there is a better way to do such thing. My goal is to have all the data (8 channels) sampled at 1kHz in a .txt file with duration of 10 min.

The test code that i'm using at the moment acquires just one signal, and i turn it into a few new signals just to test the capability of the implemented data logger code.

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards

Mário Silva

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,955 Views)

Hi,

Thank you for posting your question on National Instruments Forums.

Your application seems well built but I am wondering about one or two things. 

Are you sure of the way you read your network stream on the host ? Why not let the number of elements default value as a parameter for the read function, as shown in this example.

Also, rather than Network Streams you can test a TCP based communication using the STM library. It might prove more flexible and easier to use.

Eventually, you can use the CompactRIO Embedded Datalogger Reference Example in order to use a proven framework for developping your application.

I hope this information will help you.

Best regards,

Mathieu P. | Certified LabVIEW Associate Developer
National Instruments France

Journées techniques : des fondamentaux aux dernières technologies pour la mesure et le contrôle/comm...

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,884 Views)

Hi Mathieu,

thank you very much for the reply.

After i wrote the post that you replied, i kept searching for solution and i found that STM would be a good solution too. When i started test it i thought it was working good, but somehow i was wrong.

I test it with just two buttons, two controls that i could change and 8 analog channels to acquire data, and the goal was to acquire the 8 channels at 1kHz. When i started to save the data and opened it with my excell i realise that i wasn't savibng all the points that i was acquiring. I started to investigate by putting a 'size' block on host code and the size that i get was much smaller that i expected. Then i put an indicator at '# elements' of the 'RT FIFO READ' block and i found that the numbers of elements to read don't stop increasing, which means that i'm not passing all acquire data from cRIO to host.

I've attached the code that i was using for you to take a look, let me know if have any idea of how to solve this issue.

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards

Mario Silva

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,870 Views)